• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Legacy GM Jump over obstacles in Top Down game

K

knru

So I'm making a top down game and there's a point in my game, where the player has to cross a pond by jumping from lily pad to lily pad. I don't want to implement jumping otherwise in the game, so the jumping should happen automatically when pressing an arrow key. Here's an example what I'm after.
My movement code is the one from Shaun Shaulding's video.

I tried to make an invisible object (obj_boat) that had a tile based movement, and have player follow that object when touching it. I had an another invisible objects that made the player stop following the object. It worked ok one-way, but the obj_boat got stuck inside the another invisible object after the player got off. Moving it after didn't work either, since the player character either never got off, or the obj_boat got stuck again.

I'd really need some help. Does anyone have an idea how to make this? Any ideas are welcome.

E

Elkrom

I'm too new at this to be able to help you with what code you would need to write to make this happen, but i've read enough threads in this forum to tell you that the people that will be able to help you do not want to just write the code for you. Not everyone has watched shaun spaldings tutorials so the least you could do is copy and paste the code you're working with if you really want help. Seen someone somewhere say something along the lines of "a good programmer doesnt know how to do everything they want to do, but they know where/how to look to find out." Soo yeah jus do some research and show initiative and the internet will help you. good luck dude

K

knru

Yeah I know, I just want to know if this direction I'm going is even worth it or if anyone have better idea what way to go. Google didn't help me or I don't know what to look for. I'm not expecting a code, just help to what direction to go since I'm running out of ideas. Sorry for being unclear.