GML Visual Jump and wall climb

D

Develop_Gamez

Hello to all.
I have just started using Game Maker 2 with Drag and Drop.
I know many of you will be against using them, but I know nothing about programming.
I was able to insert the first walking animations, but I am continuing to experiment.
At this point I am stuck.
I wish the character when he touches a vertical wall, changes animation and slides down.
How can I create this thing?

thanks for any replies ^^

Slyddar

Drag and Drop is fine to use, it's a good entry to coding. I have a series on making platformers with DND, and even though it's limited, you can make decent things with it given the time.

With vertical walls you would do the same as a GML user would do, so you could search for how they would do it and convert it to DND. Basically though, in psudeocode how I would do it is setup 2 checks, which looks a few pixels to the right and left of the player, and if there is a solid there, and the player is pressing towards that wall, then slow down their gravity factor, and change to the slide animation. Else if a wall is not there, their gravity is normal, and change to normal air animation.
In my series I show how to use states in DND, so I would just add WALL_SLIDE as a state, and make the changes that way, but depends how you've set your game up.

D

Develop_Gamez

Drag and Drop is fine to use, it's a good entry to coding. I have a series on making platformers with DND, and even though it's limited, you can make decent things with it given the time.

With vertical walls you would do the same as a GML user would do, so you could search for how they would do it and convert it to DND. Basically though, in psudeocode how I would do it is setup 2 checks, which looks a few pixels to the right and left of the player, and if there is a solid there, and the player is pressing towards that wall, then slow down their gravity factor, and change to the slide animation. Else if a wall is not there, their gravity is normal, and change to normal air animation.
In my series I show how to use states in DND, so I would just add WALL_SLIDE as a state, and make the changes that way, but depends how you've set your game up.
I have just started..
I only imported the animations and only managed to make the character walk left and right..
Now I should set up the collisions and add the jump with my character's animations.
So as you might have guessed, I'm exactly at the beginning of setting up my game ^^

Slyddar

Considering you've just started, like everything in life, take it in small steps. Getting each part working correctly before moving onto your next thing is the key to not getting overwhelmed.