Released Juiced! - a retro platform adventure [PC/Mobile/NintendoSwitch]

Version 1.89 is online, which means level 12 is now complete!
Sharpen your steel and get ready to fight this salty fearsome pirate captain in a deadly duel!

Please let me know what you think!

All changes in v1.89:
-Level 12 100% complete!
-Menu had a complete make over: cleaner, clearer, more consistent.
-Removed an unintentioned shortcut in lvl 12 4th room
-[Bug fix] 2nd diamond in lvl 6 could respawn infinite amount of times

Q

Qbanyto

Bro! I just downloaded this and been having a great time. I LOVE WHAT YOUVE DONE HERE. It’s basically everything I want to do. Especially the game pad support. I have a step series and tested it. Everything is top notch. I don’t know why u are not selling this.

I have some specific questions. Should I pm u or ask here?

Bro! I just downloaded this and been having a great time. I LOVE WHAT YOUVE DONE HERE. It’s basically everything I want to do. Especially the game pad support. I have a step series and tested it. Everything is top notch. I don’t know why u are not selling this.

I have some specific questions. Should I pm u or ask here?
Thanks! Of course you can, send me a pm

New version is out on all platforms (Windows,Android, iOS) !

This is a big update and the first time I built the game in Gamemaker 2.
A major change is the new resolution of 16:9 (320x180) to better accommodate modern screens. On most devices this means the game now looks bigger, and more crisp.
I had to make a lot of changes to make this work, but I think the result is well worth it.

Also, after the level 12 boss a new sequence was added involving a chase on a surfboard!

All changes in v1.90:
-Added cutscene + surfing sequence after lvl 12 boss
-Changed resolution from 4:3 to 16:9 (320x180) to better support modern screens, several rooms were changed (read: optimised)
-Added seagulls to level 12 (hit them for coins)
-Improved animation and handling for guns and diagonal shooting
-Removed "GFX" options button, default setting is now high (and should be fine for all supported devices)
-Reduced lag on Android during the game
-Some small changes to level 7 & 8 to improve game pacing
-Tutorial level updated
-[Bug fix] Level 9 boss getting stuck in ground
-[Bug fix] Tiko could get stuck in ground when pausing game
-[Bug fix] Penguins in Menu room kept respawning
-[Bug fix] Empty save game slot drawing issue
-[Bug fix] Pause menu background was partially transparent
-[Bug fix] Using the elevator switched off invincibility powerup
-Lots of other small bug fixes and tweaks

v1.92 is out on all platforms (Windows,Android, iOS) !

The first 70% of level 13 was added, featuring a lava mine with spikey snails, flying devils, a wild mine cart ride and a hectic robot chase!

Hi everyone,

I haven't posted here in a while but I wanted you to know there have been lots of updates!
The latest update is v1.96 which adds the "Epilogue" chapter.

Also, I'm excited to say Juiced is now available on Steam and a MacOS version is available as well! I also made another gameplay trailer.

The game is now almost complete. The Epilogue will feature 2 more bosses before the game will finally be over 😭

Hope you like the new content! Please let me know what you think!

Hi everyone,

After starting this project in 2006 it has finally come to a close!
v1.98 adds the last few bosses to the Epilogue the game is now complete! :banana:

Still, I'm looking forward to your feedback!

So what's next?
I'll be focussing mostly on porting the game to the Nintendo Switch.
Also, localization in Spanish and Dutch is on the way. If you would like to help translate to any other language, please send me a message!
Exciting stuff!

Here's a full list of changes in v1.98:
-Epilogue 100% complete!
-Connected gamepad will be automatically recognized and used as input
-Time trial mode is now unlocked after finishing a level on any score (unless you already played it)
-YOLO mode is now unlocked after finishing the Epilogue (unless you already played it)
-Made it more clear that health regenerates during first Qhaen boss in Epilogue
-Small improvements to the dialog system
-Totem pole enemy now animates
-Android now also has a pause button on screen (since most modern phones ditched their buttons)
-[Steam] Added 4 more achievements
-[Bug fix] Enemy count in lvl 8 was off which made it impossible to get 50 000 points
-[Bug fix] Skipping the savepoint could result in a softlock in lvl 9, room 3
-[Bug fix] Scarab beetles in lvl 9 could get stuck in blocks
-[Bug fix] Game could crash on Kyo's first encounter in lvl 10
-[Bug fix] Homing missiles sometimes failed to hit certain enemies
-[Bug fix] Crabbies would stop eating seaweed if outside view in lvl 11 resulting in a softlock
-[Bug fix] Enemy count in lvl 11 was off which made it impossible to get 50 000 points
-[Bug fix] Enemy count in lvl 13 was off which made it impossible to get 50 000 points
-Lots of smaller bug fixes and tweaks

Yuriy

Very exciting platformer! a lot of good work has been done. The only thing I have a penchant for is the size of the control buttons. on my phone with a resolution of 2340×1080 they are very small and therefore it is not very comfortable to play on the phone :)

Very exciting platformer! a lot of good work has been done. The only thing I have a penchant for is the size of the control buttons. on my phone with a resolution of 2340×1080 they are very small and therefore it is not very comfortable to play on the phone :)
Thanks Yuriy! You can change the size of the buttons in Options > Controls > Adjust buttons

New version is out, with a new trailer!

Main new feature is the full support for Spanish and Dutch, including all in-game dialog!
I also did a full remix and remaster for all music tracks. Since most music tracks were over 5 years old, it was time for a little tweaking. Most older tracks (from the earlier parts of the game) now have improved stereo mix and overal volume is more normalized.
Some minor improvements were made to the tilesets of level 1 and 2, especially to the trees and foliage, I think they look a lot better now!
Fruit now has a gentle float animation, ladders handle a lot smoother and WASD is now supported on PC when arrow keys are used for controls.
Most of the other improvements are bug fixes mentioned at the bottom of this post.

Switch version
The Nintendo Switch version is making a lot of progress. I’m planning on completing the final build in a couple of weeks and aim for a release end of September, fingers crossed!

That’s it for now, enjoy playing the game!

All changes in v1.99:
-Full Spanish and Dutch menu and dialog localization!
-Improved handling of ladders
-Fruit now gently “floats”
-All music tracks remixed and remastered
-Small improvements to Level 1&2 tilesets
-Updated the credits
-[PC] Posibility to switch to fullscreen on start menu using the gamepad
-[PC] WASD can also be used if arrow keys are used for movement
-[Bug fix] Enemies could disappear if they fell in water when Juiced mode was activated
-[Bug fix] Rats in lvl 12 could get stuck in walls
-[Bug fix] Troll and slime enemy in lvl 13 could fall through floors
-[Bug fix] Enemy count for Dragonfly eggs was off in lvl 13
-[Bug fix] Boss 5 music volume could overwrite general music volume
-[Bug fix] Vortex could kill enemies that should be immune to the vortex
-[Bug fix] Some enemies in lvl 11-13 had wrong offset when trapped in Clawtrap or Bubble
-Lots of small bug fixes and improvements

Finally, version 2.00 is live!

6 languages added
This adds SIX new languages to the game: French, German, Russian, Polish, Brazilian Portuguese and Simplified Chinese. On top of the already available English, Dutch and Spanish languages.

New artwork
After purchasing a drawing tablet I'm finally able to make more professional looking art. Hence the new and improved artwork visible on this Steam page.

Improved gamepad controls
Gamepad controls were edited to be more consistent with the Nintendo Switch controls: Weapon switching is now mapped to the shoulder buttons, so you can switch both forward AND backward. Also a new "interact" button is used for items, vending machines, doors, etc. instead of moving the joystick "up" and "down". Of course, all buttons are remappable.

Other features:
A much requested feature: You can now look down by holding the down button!
I also added some small platform features to the Prologue Moon Temple part, to make the first part a little bit more interesting.

Nintendo Switch
You can now also play Juiced! on the Nintendo Switch! This new update however is still in Lotcheck, it will probably be available beginning of December.

Lots of bug fixes:
Furthermore, the following bugs were fixed:

-[Bug fix] fixed broken Steam site link
-[Bug fix] A vending machine in lvl 8 sold strange unusable magnet item (which can now also be discarded if owned)
-[Bug fix] Could lose health once after emerging from sucking tube while being Juiced
-[Bug fix] Juiced meter was not reset before final final boss fight, sometimes resulting in very quick victory
-[Bug fix] If a cutscene was triggered while activating Juiced it was impossible to get Juiced again
-[Bug fix] Game crash if a slime was killed right before being eaten by another slime
-[Bug fix] Guard Beardmen were killable by forcefield weapon
-[Bug fix] Guard Beardmen duo not running away from Eater simultaneously
-[Bug fix] Seed item getting stuck on your head after boss lvl 1
-[Bug fix] Claw trap sometimes forced enemies through walls
-[Bug fix] Force cannon bullets immediately destroyed when fired near a wall instead of just bouncing off
-[Bug fix] Sometimes Android version would default with gamepad controls instead of touch screen
-[Bug fix] Pausing at the wrong moment could cause the game to crash
-Lots of smaller bug fixes and tweaks

That's it!

Enjoy the game and don't forget to leave a review!

knightshaft

How hard was it to jump through all of Nintendo's hoops to get the game onto their platform? Do you have plans to get on PS4/5 and Xbox One?

How hard was it to jump through all of Nintendo's hoops to get the game onto their platform? Do you have plans to get on PS4/5 and Xbox One?
It wasn't too difficult, I think what you mostly need to get allowed is luck.

No plans for PS4 and/or Xbox. Porting to the Switch was already a lot of work and very pricey. Also I don't think my game really fits well with PS4 or Xbox. And I don't have any affinity or experience with these consoles.

knightshaft

Hi Pineapple Lake,

I've just played Juiced for the first time. Very nice game and looks a lot better than most GM examples.

I noticed that you have 2 options (Free demo & Pay for full game). I don't remeber seeing the options to split it like that when I set up Steam for my game. I've gone down the route of 'Free to Play' for basic game and downloadable DLC for extra levels. I'm not sure which way I would have gone if I'd known I had a choice but it would be nice to know how did you did that?

Hi Pineapple Lake,

I've just played Juiced for the first time. Very nice game and looks a lot better than most GM examples.

I noticed that you have 2 options (Free demo & Pay for full game). I don't remeber seeing the options to split it like that when I set up Steam for my game. I've gone down the route of 'Free to Play' for basic game and downloadable DLC for extra levels. I'm not sure which way I would have gone if I'd known I had a choice but it would be nice to know how did you did that?
Thanks! Here you can find more info on creating demo's:

I played it a while ago, it's great! I may buy it for Switch :D
Thanks!

Also... new update came out a few weeks ago but I forgot to post about it.

Biggest changes are the update ice slipping mechanics. Now they feel more natural and less annoying.
Another new feature is jumping from a hang bar, throwing a weapon, then re-landing on the bar. Especially useful in level 3.
Also added something that was missing for a while now: an idle animation! Check it out! Be sure to have some hats or masks unlocked first though.

All changes in v2.01:

-Reduced load times for languages
-Added idle “animation”
-Completely reworked ice platform mechanics. Now more natural and less annoying.
-You can now re-land on a hang bar right after you’ve used a weapon
-Made lvl 4 trees brighter for they were hard to see on screens with low brightness
-Camera position moved more to the right for the lvl 5 ice skate levels (easier to see what lies ahead)
-Small changes to lvl 2 and 5
-Made Lizard boss in Epilogue a tiny bit easier
-Small changes to some sprites
-[Bug fix] Starman in lvl 11 would sometimes not bounce
-[Bug fix] Fixed also for lvl 11: Could lose health once after emerging from sucking tube while being Juiced
-[Bug fix] After lvl 4 Witch boss you could walk off screen, resulting in instant death at the start of lvl 5
-[Bug fix] In level 5, ice machine room, throwing Penguins in some places could softlock the game
-[Bug fix] Horizontal speed for up throwing Claw traps, Dogs or Bombs was set too low
-[Bug fix] Rabbit getting stuck in walls while transforming after trapped by claw trap
-[Bug fix] Switching languages during the tutorial resulted in scrambled hint boxes
-[Bug fix] Witch boss could also be hit by anvil on upper flight

Momoro

Thanks!

Also... new update came out a few weeks ago but I forgot to post about it.

Biggest changes are the update ice slipping mechanics. Now they feel more natural and less annoying.
Another new feature is jumping from a hang bar, throwing a weapon, then re-landing on the bar. Especially useful in level 3.
Also added something that was missing for a while now: an idle animation! Check it out! Be sure to have some hats or masks unlocked first though.

All changes in v2.01:

-Reduced load times for languages
-Added idle “animation”
-Completely reworked ice platform mechanics. Now more natural and less annoying.
-You can now re-land on a hang bar right after you’ve used a weapon
-Made lvl 4 trees brighter for they were hard to see on screens with low brightness
-Camera position moved more to the right for the lvl 5 ice skate levels (easier to see what lies ahead)
-Small changes to lvl 2 and 5
-Made Lizard boss in Epilogue a tiny bit easier
-Small changes to some sprites
-[Bug fix] Starman in lvl 11 would sometimes not bounce
-[Bug fix] Fixed also for lvl 11: Could lose health once after emerging from sucking tube while being Juiced
-[Bug fix] After lvl 4 Witch boss you could walk off screen, resulting in instant death at the start of lvl 5
-[Bug fix] In level 5, ice machine room, throwing Penguins in some places could softlock the game
-[Bug fix] Horizontal speed for up throwing Claw traps, Dogs or Bombs was set too low
-[Bug fix] Rabbit getting stuck in walls while transforming after trapped by claw trap
-[Bug fix] Switching languages during the tutorial resulted in scrambled hint boxes
-[Bug fix] Witch boss could also be hit by anvil on upper flight

All the more reason to buy it 😄

Juiced! is looking for testers to test the new local co-op multiplayer!
We need YOUR help!

You'll get a free version of Juiced and get to test all new updates ahead of the release!
Send me a message here on the forum or on our Twitter or Discord and I'll send you the details

Here's what's new in the beta v2.04:
-Multiplayer support for local co-op!
-Added unlockable Boss Rush mode
-Added new mask that's unlocked when all other masks and hats have been unlocked
-Many many bug fixes

ChrisC

Just saw this game, cant wait to try it out.

edit: played thru the first level. Great game so far, love how the guys take the Boss away on the stretcher after his defeat.

Last edited:

It's here and it's ready, the MULTIPLAYER update!

v2.06 brings a LOT of changes. Most notably the support for local co-op multiplayer (or online using Steam Remote Play).
Secondly, we've added a new Boss Rush mode, with extra unlockable mask.
Also, there's a really cool new mask, called the Duck mask, unlocked when all hats and masks have been unlocked.

Go check it out!

NB Nintendo Switch patch will release start of July

Full list of changes:
-Multiplayer support for local co-op! (and Steam Remote Play)
-Added unlockable Boss Rush mode with extra unlockable mask
-Added the Duck mask: unlocked when all other masks and hats have been unlocked
-Updated level 2 backdrop
-Updated some larger sprite artwork for better consistency (Boss Speeder, Fountain lvl 10, Aleb's house)
-Fixed parallax scrolling of the moon in Level 4 and added extra background layer
-Added a missing checkpoint in level 2 room 3
-Small graphical improvements to the Prologue
-You can now THROW keys into presents, woohoo!
-Screenshot taking for Steam is now enabled
-Some added secret areas in level 2 and 3
-More consistency in Tiko's sprite colors
-Minecart part in lvl 13 now let's you retry on YOLO mode
-[Bug fix] Switching hats and masks is not always saved
-[Bug fix] Suck tubes in level 11 sometimes sent you the wrong way
-[Bug fix] Ninja star in lvl 11 falling through the ground
-[Bug fix] Final speeder cutscene in lvl 5 would still trigger after dying
-[Bug fix] Dying in tutorial level would reload last save game instead of restarting level
-[Bug fix] Using the bomb on level 6 boss too fast after it spawned resulted in a crash
-[Bug fix] Zap gun beam would sometimes go through enemies without hitting them
-[Bug fix] Moving platforms sometimes lost their sprite when outside view
-[Bug fix] Getting BUSTED on YOLO mode in lvl 8 room 1 loaded a previous save game instead of game over screen
-Many other small bug fixes