JSON and GameMaker Studio 2

samspade

GM Version: 2.3.1
Target Platform: All
Download: Github Repo
Links: YouTube Playlist

Summary:
A GML tutorial series on what JSON is, how to import, and export JSON files, and building a very simple Choose Your Own Adventure style game for practice. While done entirely in 2.3, and updated for 2.3.1, almost everything would work in 2.2 so long as you wrote the functions as required for 2.2. A link to the playlist is above and the first video on what JSON is, is below.

Outline

JSON and GameMaker Studio 2:

As always, if I make any mistakes, please let me know here or in the comments below!

Last edited:

samspade

The first of a two part video series on making a Choose Your Own Adventure style game with JSON data. This video is just project set up. It's not very complex, and the primary purpose of these videos is to be a practical example of how to use JSON data.

Last edited:

samspade

Part 2 is out! In this part I go over the structure of the JSON data and how to integrate and use it in GameMaker Studio 2. One word of caution, to understand what is happening in this video, you'll need a basic understanding not only of GameMaker and JSON but of data structures in general (along with a few other things like with statements and for loops). Also, the JSON Data is available as an included file in Github!

Also, I went back and created an introduction. There will be one final video tomorrow on ideas and suggestions for extending these tutorials as well.

samspade

A short video on how to debug issues saving JSON data. Note that this is really only about ensuring data integrity, making sure you get the same data back that you put in. The data of course still has to be correct for your game and once loaded in has to be plugged back into your game.

samspade

A short video on how to debug issues saving JSON data. Note that this is really only about ensuring data integrity, making sure you get the same data back that you put in. The data of course still has to be correct for your game and once loaded in has to be plugged back into your game.

Thanks to @rytan451 for pointing out my mistake that the buffer system Shaun Spalding uses actually is human readable! So you could keep that line in. The only thing removing it would do is tell you if there was a problem with the buffer saving process itself. They also pointed out that some code editors have a beautify/prettify option, so if you don't want to use a free online system you could down load or use something like Visual Studio or Atom to do the same thing.