1. Hello Guest! It's with a heavy heart that we must announce the removal of the Legacy GMC Archive. If you wish to save anything from it, now's the time! Please see this topic for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Asset - Scripts [Jen_scripts] Procedural Terrain Generation

Discussion in 'Marketplace' started by Cloaked Games, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Cloaked Games

Cloaked Games Member

[Jen_scripts]
    Asset for Procedural Terrain Generation

Purchase from the Marketplace

[Jen_scripts] is an asset which makes it easy to create your own procedurally generated terrain. It contains over 30 iterative scripts which can be combined with flexible parameters to create varied, organic, terrain. On a technical level, it provides a grid which stores a series of values, and scripts to manipulate the values within the grid according to various parameters and randomized conditions. [Jen_scripts] provides the ability to create shapes, as well as utilize higher level algorithms to produce a limitless variety of patterns within a grid, which can then be defined as instances within your game.

Want to create a lake? Try jen_ellipse and jen_near. Want to create a river? Try jen_wander. Want to create a cave? Try jen_automata. Want to create a maze? Try jen_maze_prim or jen_maze_backtrack. Want to create a building? Try jen_grid_room. Want to create an island? Try jen_heightmap_sampling.

Something more complicated? Combine the functions together to form terrain that fits your ideal design, using optional arguments for extra flexibility.

Features:
    • Create lines, shapes, and blobs.
    • Create a wandering path between two points.
    • Maze generation with Prim’s Algorithm or Backtrack Algorithm.
    • Cave generation with Cellular Automata.
    • Heightmap terrain generation with Average Sampling.
    • Copy and paste sections of your rooms to incorporate hand-crafted content.
    Documentation: [Jen_scripts Documentation]
    There is full documentation for every [Jen_scripts] function, including example code. You can read the documentation here.

Download the Demo: [Jen_scripts Demo]
    Want to see what [Jen_scripts] is capable of? Download this project and you can see a variety of terrain for yourself that can be created using this asset.

Introduction to Using [Jen_scripts]: [Jen_scripts Tutorial]
    Confused or just want to know more? This includes step by step instructions for basic tutorial, and some complete terrain examples you can use as additional resources.

Active Support: If you have questions, suggestions, bug reports or any other feedback, this is the place to do it! I will be continually answering any questions people have and improving the asset over time. If you have a question concerning your purchase or something you wish to discuss only with me, please feel free to send me a PM on this forum.

Terraria Style.jpg Dungeon with Treasure.jpg Islands in Ocean.jpg Cave with Ore.jpg River through Chasm.jpg

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  2. Nathan Laing

Nathan Laing Member

Very interesting. I notice that the 'resolution' and overall detail is rather low. Is there facility to increase this? For example, I'd like to approach something similar to a height map from Google Earth.

3. Cloaked Games

Cloaked Games Member

Unfortunately, not really. [Jen_scripts] is designed for small pieces of terrain, like a rouge-like level or a survival island map. You could connect multiple ones together. But while it can handle a fairly large room, generating very large pieces of terrain (especially with the heightmap functions), is probably not going to work for you. It doesn't run asynchronously.

In addition there aren't very many options for heightmaps yet. Those will be added eventually, but at the moment, you just have the one.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
  4. Cloaked Games

Cloaked Games Member

I have finished the first update for [Jen_scripts]. There were a few things that I had wanted to do before, but I didn't really know exactly how to implement them. Turns out it was really easy and only took a few hours, but here we go, version 1.1.0, with five new functions:
    • jen_number: allows you to create a specific number of instances at random positions.
    • jen_scatter_offset, jen_number_offset: allows you to create instances offset from the original location. (Good for platformers. You can do things like add torches to the floor of a cave like in Terraria).
    • jen_scatter_apply, jen_number_apply: the same as the above, but you can actually apply entire grids, like pre-built structures or randomly generated trees at positions within the terrain. This I've found to be pretty powerful for more advanced terrain, and actually simplifies a lot of the code I used in the demo by significant amounts.
    Thanks to everyone who's bought the asset so far, I appreciate the support. I hope it has been working out for you.

If you haven't bought it yet, there's several resources available so you can learn more.
    Finally, an example of the non-terrain use of [Jen_scripts], in the GMC Jam #8 just recently, I and @Pere submitted this game, The Hoard. I used [Jen_scripts] to generate the randomized army formations you fight. It only took me 10-15 minutes to do the actual code work because jen_apply and jen_grid_room_array made things so easy.