• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Jeffery the Jurassic Animal (part 2)

M

Misu

Ok! So let us talk about what is this that you see. Well, ITS JEFFERY! Our beloved masochist raptor from the depressive stone age. He doesn't love himself and he doesn't love how his universe doesn't reach his preference and standards. Therefore, he wants to die. Yes! Jeffery wants to suicide! Help Jeffery murder himself straight to glory in this dark humor, meta game.

I like to talk about why I'm making this game. This idea started out back in 2015, for the GMC Jam XX and it was the first good entry I ever made that wasn't programmed well. I didn't have an idea or preference for the theme on that jam so I ended up making a Karoshi clone. I knew it could have been way better and a lot of things could have been fixed but I never really wanted to do an improved version due to lack of interest. However, last year I felt like revisiting this jam entry in hope to understanding what I could achieve when it comes to a concept (although I did not do a karoshi clone for the next jam). Then I got upset with the last time I participated in it. I was not happy about how people perceive my work and my contributions so I quit participating (and collaborating) in whatever way for the jam. This led me to nothing more than depression and hate. So now that got me into making Jeffery again! This time, its been 4 years already, I believe my skills have gotten way better ever since so I can finally give this platformer game another shot.

For now this is a pic of what the game looks so far...

This is actual gameplay graphics and it's really basic at this point. Nothing elaborate yet but its just the beginning. Its all 4K resolution compressed into any fullscreen size (minimum 720p)

I'm aiming to correct the mistakes I've made form the first game and move it up to top quality using all my dev experience and knowledge. This time, no deadline, no theme, no handicap, no jam. This is considered my first actual game project in a long time.

Hoping to do more updates if I can, I know I dumped a lot of projects and I this time I'm gonna stop doing projects for others and do more for myself (even if you do find this welcoming).

PS: This will be a PC game... and maybe become a Switch title (I can dream too)​

Last edited:
S

Sabrina Stoakes

I'm loving the almost Yoshi's Story vibe with the artwork <3 I look forward to playing it :D

M

Misu

I added clouds to my background. Although seems too white so I might change the colouring.

Also I dunno if I should add custom slope lengths to the game. It would vary the design of each level but since I'm using tilesets for the imagery, I dunno what best way to implement them when designs may vary.

Oh and here is a sneak peek of the main menu:

https://gfycat.com/FavorableGrotesqueKitfox

I made a shader effect to embed drawings on top of rigid textures. :3

Anyway. My Goals:

- Spriting entities
- Spriting enemies
- Programming blood and gore effect
- Programming AI
- Programming Dialogue system
- Make real intro of the game.

(will list more as I accomplish each task) :3

M

Misty

Did a death animation for the character! Goin' Karoshi Style!

Still got a ton of work from this point

- Spriting entities
- Spriting enemies
- Programming blood and gore effect
- Programming AI
- Programming Dialogue system
- Make real intro of the game.
- Apply custom slope lengths.
Are those slopes pixel perfect or just fixed angle slopes?

pixeltroid

OP that looks very nice! Are you going for a paper cut animation look? Because thats the impression Im getting!

M

Misu

OP that looks very nice! Are you going for a paper cut animation look? Because that's the impression I'm getting!
Yes! I wanted to make a pencil traced cut out style for the game. I want it to make it look happy like yet the game plots ironically evil. xD

S

Sam (Deleted User)

You need erupting volcanos everywhere with melting dinosaurs in the lava and tarpits.

Being serious, I don't recall seeing any projects from you before, maybe I just don't remember stuff well. It looks like a good start. Keep it up.

I like the death animation. Using Mr. Karoshi for the inspiration was a nice touch. That's one of the first mobile GM games I ever bought.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Misu

Being serious, I don't recall seeing any projects from you before, maybe I just don't remember stuff well. It looks like a good start. Keep it up.
Probably because my last game I ever worked on was from 2013 and I only posted updates of it on GameJolt.

Anyway, now I really decided to work and finish up a real project again. I really feel determined on this one.

Anyway, check this out!

ULTRA INSTINCT JEFFERY!!!

I

immortalx

This color palette definitely works. I just woke up, saw your thread and suddently feel very happy:p
Great work Misu, something tells me this is going to be a fantastic game!

M

Misu

This color palette definitely works. I just woke up, saw your thread and suddently feel very happy:p
Great work Misu, something tells me this is going to be a fantastic game!
Thanks! I'm really proud of my art style. :D

Welp, update on the project. I added smooth friction to the movement. Also trying to create pushable rocks but it still needs a lot of polishing before concluding it.

PS: this was the main mechanic that I failed to perform in the first attempt of Jeffery that made me lack motivation afterward. Hoping to succeed in this one though. :S

M

Misu

Its hard to keep this project up to date with all the things going on with me outside my computer. But anyway, I decided to show at least one small thing to let you all know there is still progress going on.

Working on a text dialogue. I plan to add letter transformation and some art into it much later. For now its just a basic dialogue system.

So Jeffrey wants to kill himself? First screenshot, move left. Fall on spikes. Roll credits.

Seriously though, love the art style, especially the grass and the picking-up-the-meat particle effects. I feel like the sky could use the odd pterodactyl flying by. Can't wait to see more.

M

Misu

another small update with the speech dialogue. Now it haves a sizeable speech bubble base on the text length. :3

The only prob I have atm is the malfunctioned scaling for the bubble. It appears it's not scaling along the sprite origin, making it look like the origin is set to 0,0 when in reality it is not. I dunno if this is a bug from GMS 2 or I'm missing out something from the program :/

M

Misu

More progress made!
I had fixed a little on the bubble outline and today I just made my first AI system. :D

It is supposedly for the enemy object but I still need to think whether I should allow it to interact with the rolling rock or just have him treat the rock as another solid entity.
Dont know what to choose... :/