• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Discussion Jarmar Games: My Adventures with GMS2

J

Jarmar Games

So, I figured rather than pollute this forum with a tons of different topics I would just use this thread to ramble on about my adventures learning and using GMS2.

I will start this thing off by saying room inheritance is freaking awesome. I've been playing around with it some tonight and I am really digging it, makes doing things so much easier as was its intended purpose. Easy now to set the rooms size, camera and viewport and have all child rooms inherit this.

I do wish there was built in support for frame-based timing. Maybe have an option to toggle between the two. When it's active, maybe a have a frame_delta value that is calculated based your fps setting. Then for physics have an new event called "fixed step" or something that is called on fixed intervals to properly handle physics when FBT is active. I don't know all changes that would have to be made internally to support this but it would be nice to have built in support. The project I'm working on now, things are very choppy at 30 fps. Setting to 60 is smooth but for this project FBT is better. I'm exploring ways to implement it myself but so many things have to be considered and handled because of the way GMS currently doing timing. It would just be easier if there was built in support I think?

J

Jarmar Games

So now I've started working on adding frame-based timing to my projects. I mean, I can do it I guess, but it's sort of a pain. There are a lot of things that needs to done to make everything work properly. I've just been adding support to areas that need it in my current projects. Over time I guess all areas of GMS2 will be covered (that I'm able to). No sure how to handle physics yet. So far I've not needed it physics. It would be just easier if support for frame-based timing was added to gms2.

Any way a short video of faster moving objects with silky smooth motion. I hope I don't run into any "gotchas" along the way. Sigh.

J

Jarmar Games

Haha! #4real. I got it back on nov 22 and have been having a blast. Can't go back to GMS1.x at all now. Hehe. I had to actually install it a few days ago to view some stuff and I was like... wow. Yep, can't work in this anymore after working in gms2.

Now I'm in the process of getting frame-base timing fixed up as a general thing so I can use it in all my projects going forward. I guess what I've notice is the type of games that I'm making have lots of fast moving objects so the eye see lots of choppy motion which is highly distracting. Using the default timing system, I could just set the fps to 60 and its much better and that would be fine in an ideal world. But many different configurations so rendering should always be uncapped, your simulation which needs to be controlled as much as possible is fine to run a 30 fps. So yea, currently working to make this part of the my base for new projects.