• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Released JapaneseMEOW Hiragana Game.

J

JapaneseMeow

FREE Android version:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.japanesemeow.hiraganagame

FREE Web version:
http://japanesemeow.com/HiraganaGame

Pop to the top of the Tokyo Skytree with this cute Hiragana Learning Game.

• 71 randomized Hiragana symbols for you to test yourself with!
• Flying birds will remind you of your height and progress every 100 meters!
• Getting to the top (634 meters) will blast you off into space where there's a prize waiting for you!

For those of you who don't know, Hiragana is a Japanese syllabary - a major component of the Japanese writing system. If you have never studied Hiragana before, I suggest keeping this chart nearby ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
K

Kuro

I like the concept, but unfortunately when playing the web version, whenever I get something wrong and end up on the losing screen; every time I click the "Let me play again" button it takes me to the website instead of restarting the game. Meaning if I want to continue to play I have to navigate all the way back to the game and let it reload from square one. Anyone else experiencing that?

Asides from that issue, the idea of a Hiragana game is great and the presentation is nice.

J

JapaneseMeow

I like the concept, but unfortunately when playing the web version, whenever I get something wrong and end up on the losing screen; every time I click the "Let me play again" button it takes me to the website instead of restarting the game. Meaning if I want to continue to play I have to navigate all the way back to the game and let it reload from square one. Anyone else experiencing that?

Asides from that issue, the idea of a Hiragana game is great and the presentation is nice.
Thank you for the feedback! There are two buttons. The big round button is to visit the website, and the rectangular button below it restarts the game. You were clicking the top one, right? I will definitely separate them better. Thanks again for pointing that out.

K

Kuro

Thank you for the feedback! There are two buttons. The big round button is to visit the website, and the rectangular button below it restarts the game. You were clicking the top one, right? I will definitely separate them better. Thanks again for pointing that out.
Was clicking the bottom rectangular one. Might be some javascript related bug. I'm using the latest firefox if that helps you test it.

Update: I remembered I have Opera browser installed and gave it a try in that. It works fine in Opera browser. So it seems to be a purely firefox related problem.

J

JapaneseMeow

Was clicking the bottom rectangular one. Might be some javascript related bug. I'm using the latest firefox if that helps you test it.

Update: I remembered I have Opera browser installed and gave it a try in that. It works fine in Opera browser. So it seems to be a purely firefox related problem.

Perhaps you or someone else can help me debug this?

Here is the "Left Released" event for the URL button which is supposed to take the player to my website:
url_open("http://japanesemeow.com");

Here is the "Left Released" event for the "Play again" button which is supposed to restart the game:
game_restart();

Am I using the correct functions? Perhaps the fact that one object is overlapping the other by a few pixels is enough to cause a problem? That's the only possible fix I can come up with at the moment..

I'll try separating them tonight to see if that solves it.

K

Kuro

Perhaps you or someone else can help me debug this?

Here is the "Left Released" event for the URL button which is supposed to take the player to my website:
url_open("http://japanesemeow.com");

Here is the "Left Released" event for the "Play again" button which is supposed to restart the game:
game_restart();

Am I using the correct functions? Perhaps the fact that one object is overlapping the other by a few pixels is enough to cause a problem? That's the only possible fix I can come up with at the moment..

I'll try separating them tonight to see if that solves it.
The events look fine to me. I think the likeliest explanation is that there's a bug in either the HTML5 export module or in firefox, since it works fine in Opera. The only other thing I can think that might make a difference is to make sure the layer the small button is on is above the big button. Though admittedly it is a long-shot that it will make a difference.