Jafman: Adventure Arcade Random Map Generator w/Editor

J

Jafman

Hey everyone, I'm James and I make games. I may have a decent enough project to show ya. Got a minute?

Description:
Jafman is an action adventure exploration roguelike sandbox game and game design program. You are given a randomly generated world to explore and discover that it is under attack. We are faced with the biggest challenge mankind has ever known; To stop the destruction and save the world.

Featuring a random world generator, single and multiplayer (up to 4, trying for 8) hot-seat multi-screen split-screen goodness, a handful of competitive and coop gameplay modes, a few endings, English and French w/speech and subtitles, and for supporters; A world editor, loading/saving and importing resources. These are in place and (for the most part -.-; ) working now.

4 player split screen madness!

Ono!

Edit stuff!

Demo coming soon for Windows and Ubuntu, and I'm aiming for the "full version" out by the end of the year.

Pop by https://www.jafstuff.com? There's quite a bit happening there now!

One last thing. This is to be an ongoing project with new stuff always being added and changed, so nothing is final, not even the name. I really want to make something special that the community can genuinely enjoy and participate with, so please help steer this thing by sending some feedback.

Thanks a lot for your time! Cheers!

James

edits: added new pics, updated webpage link

Last edited by a moderator:
J

Jordan Marx

The graphics are so cute, and I really like the fog of war feature in the game! I'm a little confused on the goal of the game, could you explain what exactly you are collecting in the game?

J

Jafman

The graphics are so cute, and I really like the fog of war feature in the game! I'm a little confused on the goal of the game, could you explain what exactly you are collecting in the game?
Hi Jordan, thanks! As of now the goal is to explore the world, grab items and weapons, find where the bad guys are and do what comes natural. The items in the video are a backpack, bomb, apple, pizza, flashlight, shovel, gun and coffee. May I ask are the items hard to see or identify? The game has zoom in/out keys that I probably should've used to make it easier. o_O Next one for sure!

Yeah looks neat.
Thanks Toque!

J

Jafman

So hey, may I ask how everyone feels about a game with too many options? I love the games that give players a lot of creative freedom changing their character, the game world, etc. The more the merrier? That's kinda how my game came about. To get away from linearity like many games, and learn how to build a friendly interface to shake it up as much as possible.

I can't tell you how many times I would play a game and say, "that was fun. wish there was more, or i could add more to it." Maybe this is basically what got us all here? lool

A rhetorical question. What happens when you take a Legend of the Mystical Ninja SNES cart, and a Sim City SNES cart, put them in a blender and hit pulse?

J

Jafman

Hi, how are you today? I'd like to give an update as to what's new with Jafman. There's a somewhat fun website dedicated to my work now; https://www.jafstuff.com. Really excited about it! I'm working hard to make it a participatory style of game where people bounce ideas around and I try to make it happen. So I thought what better place than the gmc?

Yes, the game. Did a lot of voice acting lately so get ready to hold your ears! The characters are starting to take shape. I added a handful of new objects, with some functionality. I especially like the cage. Objects getting placed on objects is something I have to address. The French translation is nearly complete but the font needs the characters with the dots and dashes all over.

That's all for now. Hey thanks for reading! The game wouldn't be the same without you!