IWBTG-like game doubt (CLOSED by author request)

Discussion in 'Game Design, Development And Publishing' started by ethian, Oct 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ethian

ethian Member

Greetings...

Until this thread is closed, i have a doubt:

I'm using a fan game engine as a template for my game, also, i'm using assets from other games and others (Like I Wanna be the Guy) and i'm making my game a parody of another game...
    I won't publish my game on Steam, GameJolt, Itch.io, or other of the category, but i'll just show up to my friends and family on a private form.
    I won't publish it at the game's fandom, too...
    Because i heard the fans are very toxic and inmature...
    So... what if i'm doing all this?
    What are "non-commercial use" and "personal use"? Is it connected with what i said?
    What "I Wanna be the Guy" did with being published?

2. nlolotte

nlolotte Member

Why not just make your own game? You can do that, you know?

3. ethian

ethian Member

I forgot to say i lack creativity... all i do is add references to my favourites when i make something original

4. chance

chance predictably random Forum Staff Moderator

@ethian: I approved this topic because I hoped you'd discuss actual design issues. Such as asset sources and licensing, or maybe fan-game preferences.

I'm not sure "what you said". But those terms are fairly self-descriptive. Non-commercial means you're not trying to make money from the game. It's often used the same way as "personal use". Examples would be games for friends and family, or posted for fun on a forum or YouTube (assuming you aren't getting ad money). Or maybe educational use.

Just remember that copyright still applies. So you need owner permission, even for personal and/or non-commercial use.

5. ethian

ethian Member

No! Wait!
    I'll try to explain it in a few words...
    I was making a debate on my mind, and i scrapped the idea of making my game contain stolen content as i though before, but i never implemented it. As i'm sick of keeping using my favourite media... and the fact of "games with the same content aren't fun, right?"
    So close this thread, please.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.