Ivan's RPG Engine Test and Code Walkthrough

I

ItsMeIvan

So recently I made a RPG Gamemaker Engine, I have a video here, showing off the code, testing, etc.

Gamerev147

Interesting! I have a few questions regarding the video:
  • What is your plan of action?
  • What is the story going to be?
  • What is the game all about?
Those are a few questions that should be brought up before production. It is easier this way, so then you have a goal in mind.
Your game is very detailed graphically from what was shown. I would like to test the game if at some point you can put out a demo?

A few suggestions:
  • Make the "press space to talk" fade out instead of instantly fade out.
  • The dialogue box is simple and good for testing, but later on I would change this to make it more pleasing. (You could simply add a border)
  • Upload a few screenshots of the menu (if present), the game itself, and put at least a paragraph total of information about the game. It's a cool game, but it seems like it was an oddball project.
Stick with this one, it looks really good so far!
Don't give up, keep up the great work! :)

A

Ash Ketchum

Sure this is an engine and not just a game made in gamemaker?

I

ItsMeIvan

Interesting! I have a few questions regarding the video:
  • What is your plan of action?
  • What is the story going to be?
  • What is the game all about?
Those are a few questions that should be brought up before production. It is easier this way, so then you have a goal in mind.
Your game is very detailed graphically from what was shown. I would like to test the game if at some point you can put out a demo?

A few suggestions:
  • Make the "press space to talk" fade out instead of instantly fade out.
  • The dialogue box is simple and good for testing, but later on I would change this to make it more pleasing. (You could simply add a border)
  • Upload a few screenshots of the menu (if present), the game itself, and put at least a paragraph total of information about the game. It's a cool game, but it seems like it was an oddball project.
Stick with this one, it looks really good so far!
Don't give up, keep up the great work! :)
First, thanks for the comment, second, this is kinda just an engine for now, unsure if I'm gonna release the files anytime soon, still working on it, and I am already working on an another project, which is a fan game, and I'm unsure if I can post it here...
Probably gonna make a game with this once the engine is complete, but for now, its just an engine! :)
I will try working on all suggestions one at a time, and they are not that hard!
EDIT: for now, you can play the version in the video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wgju4gkbpw0a5vb/RPG Engine.zip?dl=0

Last edited by a moderator:
I

ItsMeIvan

Sure this is an engine and not just a game made in gamemaker?
As like I said, in the last reply, this is just an engine for now, a private one, which I might release the game files to, I might later make a game out of it, but for now, its just a simple engine, the room was just for testing purposes.

Geoff Jones

The demo has crash on boot
Code:
FATAL ERROR in
action number 1
of  Step Event0
for object obj_player:

Variable obj_player.freeMovement(100002, -2147483648) not set before reading it.
at gml_Object_obj_player_Step_0
The music in the video is stuck in my head :p