• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Alpha Ivan Race - 2D Physics Rally Game

acidemic

I am currently working on the 2D racing game with the working title "Ivan Race".

I started this project in GMS 1.4 and after some while moved it to GMS2. I love the new cameras system introduced in GMS2 although I am not fond of it's overloaded, heavy interface.

All game levels will be created in my own custom made Level editor which was also created in GMS and it's still in development. It allows me to create any shaped physical objects with textures (mostly for the terrain, but not only), rope bridges, set stage objects and e.t.c.

Main game features at the moment:
- Fully functional Car Physics
- Solid physical vector textured objects (for terrain and other objects). There is an option to switch off their physics if I don't want them to interact with the player.
- Surface (grass) texture which covers the above physical objects.
- Realistical dirt from the car weels. It can be switched on or off for each physical object. So for example ground will have the dirt, but concrete bridge won't. Dirt colour and it's amount can also be set for each object separately, so I can make a snowy road with the white "dirt".
- Rope Bridges which can have different tension from tight to very loose (as seen on the video).
- Nitro power-ups which increase the engine power for the certain amount of time. It regenerates itself with time.
- Coin power-ups.
- Parallax backgrounds with motion blur.
- Dynamic camera which zooms at higher speed.
- Realistical combined speedometer/tachometer.

Current game target is to get to the Finish point at the shortest time.

Game is still at the early development stage, so everything especially the power-ups is subject change.

Last edited:

0.Bytes

Looks really cool, I used to play a game like that but it was a motorcycle instead of a truck, and I loved the game, looks promising ! Good job !

G

Guest User

looks really fantastic. hopefully that wasn't top speed in the video, though!
i think the dirt, in particular, is a fun addition. there going to be muddy levels/areas that shoot out more ebris while you're driving through?

either way, keep up the good work.

acidemic

Thanks for your comments!

I am planning to introduce many different game levels which will be divided into the groups of different environments with their own unique type of terrain... these can be: Countryside, Desert, Mountains, Winter North, Swamp, Jungles, City etc. Each type of terrain will have it's own physical properties which will affect tyre grip with the ground and will produce different amount/colour of dirt/debris. For example winter levels will have white snow debris, but the icy parts of the ground won't have any debris and will have much less friction (weaker wheel grip).

Also you mentioned the speed. This game itself will be not about the really high speed. Speed will still matter but as much as in any hardcore off-road game. The main target will be completing the levels in shortest possible time by advancing players driving skill through the complex road (mostly off-road).

I am still thinking whether I need this system of collecting coins hanging in the air which personally to me looks boring as it appears in hundreds of games and does not add any real challenge to the game. Instead I want to introduce something else - physics based collectibles which can be unique for each group of level.

While working on the game engine itself, I am still looking for the ideas for the game, so if you have any (interesting, funny, boring, crazy, ANY) ideas for the gameplay or the visual aspect that would make this game more interesting and challenging in your opinion, feel free to write them here. I am open to the suggestions.

Will post new screenshots/videos soon with new HUD display and physical collectibles instead of the coins.

Andrey

In general, a nice game.
I would like to make some suggestions. It seemed to me that the graphics of the background and the frontground are stylistically different. Can the balanced?
At the last screenshot, the speedometer and pedals close the game path.
Perhaps it is worth making a graphics system for damage to the machine (scratches, dents). Well, for example, using Spine animation to draw animated tracks deformation of the car body.

В целом симпатичная игра.
Хотел бы высказать некоторые предложения. Мне показалось, что графика заднего плана и переднего стилистически отличается. Может быть задний план сбалансировать с передним?
На последнем скриншоте спидометр и педали закрывают игровой путь.
Возможно, стоит сделать графическую систему повреждения машины (царапины, вмятины). Ну, например, с помощью Spine анимации отрисовать анимационные дорожки деформации кузова автомобиля.

acidemic

In general, a nice game.
I would like to make some suggestions. It seemed to me that the graphics of the background and the frontground are stylistically different. Can the balanced?
At the last screenshot, the speedometer and pedals close the game path.
Perhaps it is worth making a graphics system for damage to the machine (scratches, dents). Well, for example, using Spine animation to draw animated tracks deformation of the car body.

В целом симпатичная игра.
Хотел бы высказать некоторые предложения. Мне показалось, что графика заднего плана и переднего стилистически отличается. Может быть задний план сбалансировать с передним?
На последнем скриншоте спидометр и педали закрывают игровой путь.
Возможно, стоит сделать графическую систему повреждения машины (царапины, вмятины). Ну, например, с помощью Spine анимации отрисовать анимационные дорожки деформации кузова автомобиля.
Yes, the backgrounds will be changed... these are just temporary wip graphics while I am working on the game engine.
I will probably move the speedometer or make it smaller to the height of the pressed pedal sprite, and propably will add more transperancy to the pedals. Regarding the spine animation I haven't worked with that before, but this is a gret idea, I will look into that later. Maybe will implement that in the second version of the game or any other game which will be based on this engine.

Currently I am working on the game Menu system which I need to finish before I can release a public demo version.

Спасибо за комментарии! На видео графика заднего плана - это пустыня с пирамидами, а передний план это дичайшая смесь земли с травой и кактусов ))))) просто когда делал видео, поменял текстуру песка на текстуру земли с травой так как темная грязь летящая из под колес мне показалась более эффектной. На скриншоте ниже более правильная текстура, но в любом случае я думаю, что графика будет еще меняться и переделываться, сейчас пока работаю над самим движком игры временно поставил первое что попалось под руку. Планирую сделать разные типы трасс в разной местности с разными текстурами. Если использовать этот фон, то надо будет или убрать с него пирамиды или кактусы с трассы. )))) Что касается спидометра, его можно передвинуть левее или чуть уменьшить (до высоты нажатой педали) чтобы смотрелось эргономично, а сами педали как вариант сделать чуть прозрачнее (они там по факту не несут никакой информационной нагрузки кроме обозначения места нажатия на экране). Буду с этим еще экспериментировать. Насчет Spine анимации, с этим еще не работал, но идея деформации интересная. Позже изучу этот вопрос глубже. Возможно тогда добавлю это в следующей версии игры или в другой игре основанной на этом же движке.

Andrey

Well, if you plan to work with graphics, that's fine!
Pedals in general can be made optional transparent, so that the players themselves can adjust the transparency.
And good luck in the development of the project!
I will follow your game.
Ну, если планируете еще работать с графикой, — отлично!
Педали вообще можно сделать опционально прозрачными, — чтобы сами игроки могли регулировать прозрачность вплоть до замены на круги меньшего диаметра, чтобы игровое поле было больше. При этом зону тача оставить большой.
И удачи в развитии проекта!
Буду следить за вашей игрой.