• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Discussion ITT Tech Shutting Down?

S

StuffandThings85

http://blog.ed.gov/2016/08/increased-oversight-of-itt-and-the-impact-on-students/

https://www.itt-tech.edu/

This probably doesn't come as much of a surprise, as ITT Tech has been under scrutiny from the government for years, but it looks like this could be the final nail in the coffin. They have now been banned from accepting new students.

As a for-profit school, they have been known to use some shady tactics to convince (in some cases even harass) students to sign up for programs. The government has been cracking down on these cases where students have come forward saying that enrollment counselors and other staff repeatedly lied and/or misrepresented graduation statistics such as employment opportunities/rates. As of June, ITT Tech already owes the government more than $40 million for similar accusations. If they do not comply with the latest demands, they will have to fork over another $152 Million to cover the federal loans promised to students. Things aren't looking good for ITT, or the students.

I post this because I have just recently finished my AS program at ITT Tech (Computer Network Systems), and had signed up to continue for the Bachelors program (Information Systems Security). Now, that doesn't seem very likely to happen. I knew going to this that ITT wasn't exactly prestigious in any way, and it did have its problems, but at the time I signed up I really didn't have many options. I didn't have the grades to get into a traditional college, and needed something to get me in the right direction. Now that I have at least finished my associates program I can at least transfer to a ('real') community college and then a university. There are actually a few in my area that seem like a really good fit, and will honestly do me much better in the long run. I've been looking into the Game Design/Development program, now that I've begun dabbling in coding.

What are your thoughts on this? (you can save all the "well you shouldn't have gone to ITT" bs, I've heard it all)

Reactions: Roa

Roa

I was wondering when someone was going to bring this up. Very interesting topic, but I dont know enough to contribute.