• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

It's A Journey - Story Based Platformer

G

GregFroning

The Idea
It's A Journey is a platform game with a focus on a simple story and decision making. You are walking through a dream and coming across memories, and depending upon how you answer them it affects the end of the game with four possible endings. Memories are represented by simple glowing dots which then opens a dialog menu. You then answer the question and get a point awarded to a certain category based on your answer. There will also be simple puzzles involved, including a simple inventory system to gather items for the puzzles.

This Version
In this version it is largely a engine test, though everything is basically implemented aside from a few bugs. I just need to get performance working well, and then go through and finish adding the story elements in.

Can I Play It?
You can check out the current version here - http://gregfroning.com/html5/It's A Journey/index.html
If you play it please leave feedback along with what frames you were getting. (They are shown in the top middle)
Also it may sit at the loading screen for a few seconds while it loads.

Latest Changes (06/24/2016):
  • Lots of bug fixes
  • Graphical Adjustments
  • Updated Dialog Boxes
  • Fixed dialog box text
  • New background elements
  • More environment completed with background elements
(06/22/2016):
  • Added Glow Effect To Mountains
  • Darkened Background
  • Adjust Movement
  • Added Moon Glow Effect

Controls
You can use on screen buttons or the following:
A - Walk Left
D - Walk Right
Space - Action/PickUp

Media
Screenshot_20160624-095453.png Screenshot_20160624-095410.png Screenshot_20160624-095423.png Screenshot_20160624-095429.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
How final/temporary is the art? Right now, I think the background isn't "glowy" enough to make the silhouettes in the foreground stand out, I'd recommend making it darker and then add a glow effect along edges (e.g. with GIMP's neon tool or something similar). Actually, the background probably could benefit from being a bit fuzzier as well, it looks like it's a bit too close to the foreground at the moment.

G

GregFroning

Thanks for checking it out first! The art of course is a work in progress, I am doing it all myself and I am no artist by any means. (Animating and everything) I could definitely give it a fuzzy effect, though a glow I would have to go the route of using surfaces which would probably impact my performance. The ground is made dynamically, not pre made. It is a series of points and I draw polygons to fill it in, then create physics fixtures for collisions. But I will look into adding a few effects, and maybe darkening it up and seeing if I can get it to glow. Thanks for the great feedback!

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
You wouldn't need surfaces for a glow effect, you could just draw the image a couple of times with additive blending (and partial transparency) for a much smaller RAM usage. Adding multiple sort-of-dark semi-transparent images on top of each other with additive blending results in some very convincing glow effects, so I can seriously recommend looking it up. (And subtractive blend mode is great for shadows and day-night-cycles' night part, I might add).

G

GregFroning

Thanks! I will definitely look into doing that for a nice glow effect.

Going to have an updated version with the puzzle elements completed so I can get some testing on those out of the way. Will have that updated by end of day most likely.

G

GregFroning

Ok I have a new version up with some glow effects implemented, and I darkened it up a bit until I got to a point that I think it looks better.

Latest Changes (06/22/2016):
  • Added Glow Effect To Mountains
  • Darkened Background
  • Adjust Movement
  • Added Moon Glow Effect
Play it at the link in the first post, let me know performance and what you think of the changes!

G

GregFroning

Have another new version up at the link in the first post! Changes are below. Almost have full engine worked out, just have a few more bug fixes.

Latest Changes (06/24/2016):
  • Lots of bug fixes
  • Graphical Adjustments
  • Updated Dialog Boxes
  • Fixed dialog box text
  • New background elements
  • More environment completed with background elements
Would be great to get some more performance feedback and suggestions on the direction of the game! Thanks!