1. Hey! Guest! The 32nd GMC Jam will take place between Feb 22nd, 12:00 UTC (Friday noon) and Feb 25th, 12:00 UTC (Monday noon). Why not join in! Click here to find out more!
    Dismiss Notice

It is possible to mix 2d and 3d background in Game Maker?

Discussion in 'Game Design, Development And Publishing' started by joondoe, Jan 23, 2019.

Tags:
  1. joondoe

joondoe Member

I'm wondering if it is possible to make 2d and 3d game in Game maker like Ori and the blind forest, this kind of stuff ?

2. YellowAfterlife

YellowAfterlife ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ Forum Staff Moderator

If I remember correctly, the backgrounds in Ori weren't 3d - just a particularly fancy layered parallax effect.

But yes, you can change projection to 3d, draw something, and change it back - via d3d_set_projection functions in GMS1 or camera functions in GMS2.

3. joondoe

joondoe Member

thanks for your answer,
    awesome for the Ori work if it is the case,
    okay so it's not an hacky movement if I understand well it's adapted to Game Maker features?

4. sp202

sp202 Member

It's not difficult to do provided you're somewhat familiar with how 3D works in GMS.

5. Niels

Niels Member

I believe Ori used the same effect for its parallax effect as hollow knight. This is done by using unity's perspective (3D)camera in a 2D room.
    [​IMG]

Would love to know if something like this is possible in gms2

SnotWaffle Studios likes this.
  6. YellowAfterlife

YellowAfterlife ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ Forum Staff Moderator

At the very least you can reposition layers with code as you please (for any logical or illogical parallax)

7. joondoe

joondoe Member

the work of Hollow Knight is purely awesome

8. Niels

Niels Member

Maybe setting the matrix for the camera to a perspective view will do the same trick? (matrix_build_projection_perspective)

9. The Sorcerer

The Sorcerer Member

Absolutely do able in GMS2.

You can switch between perspective and orthographic as much as you like during the render cycle.

What is going on in your attached image is actually quite trivial to do. If I get a chance in the next few days I might even throw something together to show how this can be done in GMS2.

Taddio and Niels like this.
  10. Niels

Niels Member

can't wait!

Taddio and The Sorcerer like this.
  11. Taddio

Taddio Member

That would be most awesome, this effect has nice potential!

12. The Sorcerer

The Sorcerer Member

Alright, challenge accepted. I'll see what I can do :)

Niels and Taddio like this.
  13. Taddio

Taddio Member

That could very well be the greatest crossover between The Matrix and Paper Mario the world has ever seen :D

The Sorcerer likes this.
  14. The Sorcerer

The Sorcerer Member

Done :)

Don't judge the art, just judge the technique. :p

[​IMG]

The three layers were placed directly in the room editor too. So it makes it easy to throw something together.

Download the project here and do whatever you wish with it - https://www.dropbox.com/s/wzkwimb68ffa4a1/Flat3DTest.yyz?dl=0

It's quick and dirty, no warranties :D

Niels, nesrocks and Taddio like this.
  15. Taddio

Taddio Member

Will try that asap!
    EDIT: Bro, this is just amazing! I can't believe you crammed such an amazing thing in a few lines of code in a single object, honestly.
    I'm definately gonna be using this A LOT.
    Thanks a lot!!

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
    Niels, nesrocks and The Sorcerer like this.
  16. The Sorcerer

The Sorcerer Member

No problems at all :)

17. nesrocks

nesrocks Member

This is really cool indeed. I'll try to understand the functions better later!

For a fun test replace:
    Code:
    xfrom += 3 * dir;

if(xfrom > 1000 || xfrom < 500)
        dir = - dir;
    with:
    Code:
    xfrom = width-mouse_x;
    yfrom = height-mouse_y;
    By the way, you seem to have two instances of the obj_3d_controller object in the room. I figure only the one on layer main is necessary?

The Sorcerer likes this.
  18. The Sorcerer

The Sorcerer Member

Oh is there? Must have been a mis-click. Yeah, just delete the extra one. ;)

[edit]
    Ah, actually I remember duplicating one of the layers when making the scene, so it must have been the main layer I duplicated and that would have gone with it.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
  19. sp202

sp202 Member

I can't figure out why the effect only affects objects on layers above the controller object's layer.

20. Taddio

Taddio Member

Ehat do you mean? The only "bug" I found was if you go to the other side completely, the top layer STAYS the top layer, instead of becoming the back layer. I'm guessing it's possible to fix with using instances depth and one single layer, but didn't try it yet.
    I spent a good chunk of the night messing with it and start to get the hang of it, it's reeeeeeally cool. Can use it subtle or for drastic effects, it's convincing

21. sp202

sp202 Member

If you add more layers in the room editor I found that the projection only affects layers that are above the controller object's own layer, otherwise they look like a regular orthogonal projection.

22. Miradur

Miradur Member

Thank you so much for this great code. Finally a simple way to get the Star Wars text effect
    (at the beginning of the film) :)

Miradur

The Sorcerer likes this.
  23. muki

muki Member

I do this in 2D with fancy layer tricks. Directly inspired by Hollow Knight.

I draw each background layer (view-sized, and from the view) to its own surface. Both tile and object. Apply a shader to it to add depth-of-field/blur and shrink it down slightly towards the center of the surface. Then I stack the surfaces and I get a nice parallaxed depth-of-fielded scenery behind my foreground. The catch is, I had to make my own rendering control object. And some some manual "on layer draw start/end" scripts for the objects.

The Sorcerer likes this.
  24. Niels

Niels Member

wow this is so awesome!, totally gonna abuse this technique for my next project!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
    The Sorcerer likes this.
  25. The Sorcerer

The Sorcerer Member

Yes, I found this as well when moving layers around in the layer list, etc. Seems to be a quirk GM's layer system.

For something more robust, I'd certainly recommend manipulating the layers with the matrix functions.