• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Issues with YYC with gms1.4

J

JoshSullivan

Hi Guys,

I have just recently discovered YYC and i am determined to publish my game compiled with YYC.

I am just having a few issues and i am wondering if this is normal.

1. I have run into a few error messages that say there is something wrong with my game (Like cannot find an object or a variable is incorrect). Investigating i notice that its not actually true.

2. it sometimes switches sprites around??

3. in a certain room in my game, it will use objects that arent actually in the room!

Closing GMS and reopening fixes this when re-compiling, but if you do not close the program, it compiles with these errors every time.

Is this cause for concern? Should i just test the game with the standard compiler, then when it comes time for release, use the YYC.

I am releasing a game to Steam, and with not much experience with the YYC i am weary if i should risk this or not.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Whenever you use the YYC compiler, a good rule of thumb is to ALWAYS clear the cache (broomstick icon in the toolbar) prior to building. This will usually resolve all of your problems above ( I have seen all the problems you listed occur when not clearing the cache). Closing and restarting Game Maker can also clear the cache if that option has been selected in your preferences, which would explain why that works.

Because clearing the cache means a longer compile time due to having to rebuild all the assets, I would stick with the Standard VM compiler for normal usage. Then, at less frequent intervals (daily/weekly/hourly - whatever is appropriate for your game), clear the cache and do a YYC build, make yourself your favourite drink while its compiling and then test it.

Don't wait until the time for release to build with YYC. YYC is somewhat stricter on what it allows and the way it behaves, so frequent testing with it is a must.

I haven't used the Steam API, but I would caution you to check carefully that the GMS 1.4 is still compatible with Steam, as GMS 1.4 has reached end-of-life so isn't updated any more. If Steam have updated their API in a way that breaks the interface between it and GMS 1.4, it won't be getting fixed.