• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Issues with Sprite Editor

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Tried making a small little project to get accustomized to the GMS2 sprite editor, almost instantly started running into bugs.

1: Clicking the active colors to change them eventually starts pre-loading the wrong color. (After doodling around for a couple of minutes)
upload_2016-12-14_13-3-36.png

2: The Alpha, Red, Green and Blue selection arrows (see above screenshot) jitter completely randomly when I try adjusting them by dragging them, and clicking along their sliders does not move the arrow there: you need to input values using the digit fields.

3: You also can't seem to hover over one of the sliders and use the mouse wheel to move them, that's a pretty nice feature for small adjustments. (Less important than having the sliders actually work, though)

4: I really miss having an alpha slider right below the LMB/RMB colors for when you draw lots of transparent stuff. Not too big of an issue with the new color picker, though.

5: Drawing transparent filled rectangles doesn't work as intended, you get an outline with twice the desired alpha around them. This means you can't use semi-transparent rectangles to shade pre-existing sprites, and could make it tedious to draw semi transparent things like windows. Since it's easier to add the outline yourself using the outlined rectangle tool than to remove an outline you didn't want, and since the tool implies that the rectangle is filled uniformly, this should go.
upload_2016-12-14_13-7-38.png

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
1. and 2. Theres a couple of bugs filed about the sliders acting weird, but we can't repo here... We've seen video of it, so we know it happens. we're still trying.

3. never been suggested before. Feel free to file a suggestion.

4. this has been suggested already, and although strictly speaking we need 2 sliders - one for left/right colours, I have no objection. Not sure I'd want it to affect both, but we'll have a think about it when we get time.

5. This is fixed in the next version. (as are circles)

Stubbjax

I'd like to know if anyone else is experiencing this strange issue where creating an empty new layer underneath a transparent sprite alters its transparency (also occurs in-game).

Chaser

Thought I'd just leave a message on here, as it has something to do with the Sprite editor, and save posting a new thread.
Ive noticed on my editor, every now and then, if I resize canvas, then click edit undo, it takes it back to the original image as it should,but occasionaly the bounding box remains the "resize canvas size". Was causing me some issues with collisions and layers. Anyone else? Or just me.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
4. this has been suggested already, and although strictly speaking we need 2 sliders - one for left/right colours, I have no objection. Not sure I'd want it to affect both, but we'll have a think about it when we get time.
GMS1 had a single slider that affected both, so it would be "mentally backwards compatible"... but I can see how it feels kinda clunky when juxtaposed with the power of the new RGBA color selector.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Found another, unrelated gripe. If you drastically resize a sprite from the default size (which you'll do all the time unless you use 64x64 graphics), there's no quick way to adapt the collision mask to the changes. Clicking and dragging the mask itself is fast, but not so precise for small sizes, and zooming in just adds an extra step. It would be nice with a little "automatic size" checkbox that makes the Rectangle/Ellipse/Diamond masks be locked to the full image size each time it's edited... or maybe a little "auto resize" button that changes the left/top/right/bottom settings to cover the entire visible area of the sprite when clicked, that would probably be easier to maintain (and conceptually easier to understand for users) than a new per-sprite setting, while offering the same speed benefit.
upload_2016-12-14_18-18-13.png

I also kinda miss the 'center origin' button from GMS1 since it's harder to locate the 'middle center' option in the new dropdown menu, but that's also a pretty minor thing.

Llama_Code

Thought I'd just leave a message on here, as it has something to do with the Sprite editor, and save posting a new thread.
Ive noticed on my editor, every now and then, if I resize canvas, then click edit undo, it takes it back to the original image as it should,but occasionaly the bounding box remains the "resize canvas size". Was causing me some issues with collisions and layers. Anyone else? Or just me.
Ya this also happens if you start with a larger sprite and scale it down. Threw me off first time I resized a 64x64 sprite to 32x32 and tested the game to find it was still colliding at the 64x64 bounding box.