• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

issues importing with spine

philis401

So ok, I been using spine with game maker for a while now. No issues. GMS atm can only support 3.7 of spine and thats what i been using.

On a recent spine animation, gms is unable to import it, despite using same as my other spines, even using the same export settings, yet anytime i try to import this specific one gms gets an error is saying the json file isnt using supported spine version or w.e. Yet, using same project, able to import all my other spines.

The new one doesnt do anything diff. Tho, the images are huge reso (doing this for some other person, and these were the ones that he sent me).

Are the reso too big or what?

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
What is a "huge" resolution? Also, you can test to see if that is the issue easily enough, no? Simply scale down the images being used by half (for example) and then see if the sprite will import. It also may be worthwhile filing a bug with YYG and include a link to a zip with the Spine Sprite in it so they can test it. If you have already exported several sprites with the same format and they all work fine in GMS then it's worth YYG looking at the sprite that doesn't work to see what the issue is.

philis401

What is a "huge" resolution? Also, you can test to see if that is the issue easily enough, no? Simply scale down the images being used by half (for example) and then see if the sprite will import. It also may be worthwhile filing a bug with YYG and include a link to a zip with the Spine Sprite in it so they can test it. If you have already exported several sprites with the same format and they all work fine in GMS then it's worth YYG looking at the sprite that doesn't work to see what the issue is.
idk, i just been trying various things to get it to work, even scaling down. No issue. Weird thing is, i started new spine proj,imported all the said images and i was able to import no issue. ofc, only has root bones and no animation...so i dont think its the images....and back to sqwuare one. I did post in tw oother fourms related (one is offocial spine forum) and i did get a reply saying that they talked with GMS to update support to latest spine build rapidly in the future, so theres that.

even went into the problem json, the one diff it has from others is that its "images" keyis empty (while others has some image path written in). I did open the problem json file in skeleton viewer and it di pop up in there no prob.

Padouk

Did you compare your .atlas files as well?

Out of curiosity, are you exporting using the Texture Packer options "use indexes" or "flatten path"?
I know those two can break the GMS Import the way you describe even when exporting using spine 3.7.94.

I've had a couple other weird issues, but that one is an obvious one to look for.
Like... deleting a png outside of spline that is still referencing in an animation. The export will work just fine, but you will have the same GMS Import error.
Basically whenever it can't find an image name from the .json in the .atlas it complains about invalid json

Last edited:

knightshaft

I've only just got into spine and from reading this thread now find I can't use the current version of spine.
I selected 3.7.94 in settings, for restarting spine but I now get "Errors occurred reading hotkeys.txt" and a big list of invalid actions.

Cheers,

Last edited:

rIKmAN

I've only just got into spine and from reading this thread now find I can't use the current version of spine.
I selected 3.7.94 in settings, for restarting spine but I now get "Errors occurred reading hotkeys.txt" and a big list of invalid actions.

Cheers,
It's because new hotkeys have been assigned for features that are not in the older version.
Simply delete your Hotkeys.txt (you can open the folder it's in by using the button in Settings) and then relaunch Spine v3.7.94 and it will generate a new Hotkeys.txt file which is for that version.

Nicky

Hello, i'm sorry if i'm intruding the topic but it seems related.
I'm trying to learn how to use GM2.3 and spine3.7 together, newbie at both.
My problem happens at the moment of starting the game, the object using a json sprite exported from spine does not appear anywhere. I tried replacing the sprite with a simple png and it appears juste fine. Is this an issue that happens while exporting the json file from spine? Thank you for your help!

philis401

Hello, i'm sorry if i'm intruding the topic but it seems related.
I'm trying to learn how to use GM2.3 and spine3.7 together, newbie at both.
My problem happens at the moment of starting the game, the object using a json sprite exported from spine does not appear anywhere. I tried replacing the sprite with a simple png and it appears juste fine. Is this an issue that happens while exporting the json file from spine? Thank you for your help!
Did you export the atlas withh the json? Does the character have multiple skins? In create event try this:

skeleton_skin_set("skin name");

And repalce the "skin name" with the skin the spine asset has.
Also try:

skeleton_animation_set("animation name");

and repalce with an animation it has, like the idle animation.