Legacy GM Issue with Tutorial On Shaders

G

GamingWalrus

I went through the Surface tutorial part 1 that you can download for GM: Studio, and I copied over all the code from the tutorial, but there aren't any darkness effects. The light system works fine, but there isn't any darkness drawn. Is anyone else having this issue?

P

Paolo Mazzon

I personally found those tutorials useless (This was like 2 years ago, maybe they're different now.), I would actually recommend learning about surfaces and shaders separately.
Documentation on surfaces
Documentation on shaders
A very difficult but thorough GLSL tutorial (I believe this one is for C though)
A much simpler GLSL tutorial (Again, not for Gamemaker, but has the language)
The tutorial I used to learn how to use shaders (Specialized for Gamemaker)

Surfaces are fairly straight forward, but there are plenty of tutorials on them if you need it. Shaders are fairly challenging depending on your background, since GLSL is very similar to C.

C

CoderJoe

Make sure to read the tutorials. That helps. Try checking the depth of the surface object. I don't really remember those tutorials as they were from a long time ago.

S

SoulTie

I bought the big orange book. OpenGL Shading Language - Third Edition. After reading that, I can pretty much make any shader I need.

G

GamingWalrus

Thanks everybody. I'm sorry, but in the title of the thread I meant a tutorial on *surfaces, not shaders. Thank you for the help though.