• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Steam Issue with sdk path that gamemaker 2 uses.

dennylc

Not sure why this has not come up before. All documentation that I've seen shows the steam sdk location as something similar to this: C:\Users\Denny\Documents\steamsdk\steamworks_sdk_142. However if you attempt to build an executable for steam with this path (assuming you are using sdk 1.42), the sdk will not be found. When creating the executable I was getting this error: Failed to copy Steam DLL - 'C:\Users\Denny\Documents\steamsdk\steamworks_sdk_142\redistributable_bin\steam_api.dll' - SDK not installed properly? Check 'Preferences-Platform Settings-Steam-Path To Steam SDK'

But the actually location of the steam_api.dll file it is located here: C:\Users\Denny\Documents\steamsdk\steamworks_sdk_142\sdk\redistributable_bin\steam_api.dll. You will notice that the sdk install puts in the extra sdk folder between the steamworks_sdk_142 folder and the redistributable_bin folder (steamworks_sdk_142\sdk\redistributable_bin) but GMS2 is looking in (steamworks_sdk_142\redistributable_bin). Thats why the file could not be found. So you need to include the sdk folder when setting the steam sdk location. So it will look something like this: C:\Users\Denny\Documents\steamsdk\steamworks_sdk_142\sdk and not this: C:\Users\Denny\Documents\steamsdk\steamworks_sdk_142. Without the sdk folder the sdk will not be found. And all the documentation that I've seen has never included the sdk folder in the path.

Last edited: