• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows Issue with monitor at 144Hz - framerate drops to 48 fps (GMS 2.3.3)

DarK_SaCoR

IDE Version: 2.3.3.570
Runtime: 2.3.3.434

Since the last GM update, I have been experiencing some problems with the framerate, going from 60 to 48 fps when the game runs on a monitor with a refresh rate of 144Hz.

On the other hand, the game runs perfectly at 60 fps if I configure the refresh rate of the monitor to a multiple of 60Hz (e.g., 120Hz), as shown in the pictures below.

As additional information, the "game frames per second" option is set to 60.

main monitor.png
Image 1: Monitor at 144Hz (drop to 48 fps)

secondary monitor.png
Image 2: Monitor at 120Hz

Many thanks in advance.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
48 is an even divisor of 144 (/ 3). This makes me think that you have Vsync enabled (not necessarily in your game settings, but your device's settings), as that will try to either match the frame rate to the monitor's refresh rate or the next smallest even divisor of it.

DarK_SaCoR

48 is an even divisor of 144 (/ 3). This makes me think that you have Vsync enabled (not necessarily in your game settings, but your device's settings), as that will try to either match the frame rate to the monitor's refresh rate or the next smallest even divisor of it.
Thank you for posting that solution. I unchecked the Vsync option and now it works perfectly at 60 fps as expected. It is weird, because I had always this option enabled and it was working completely fine on the latest builds. It started to fail since the last GM update.

FYI: For testing purposes, I created an empty project to check if the problem was only related to the Vsync or it was caused by something else from my project, and the behaviour was exactly the same as before, running it at 48fps.

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
The more reports they get, the harder this issue is to ignore.
Hehe, this is not true - we do not "ignore" issues anyway, but what is true is the more duplicate reports we get, the more time we have to spend answering tickets and not actually getting the thing fixed, tested and out... ;)

If you see something is in our known issues table on the bug-reporting form, please do not send another ticket just to "bump". In general, adding a comment on the beta/stable release thread for that version saying you also have the issue would be a much more efficient route for everyone.

We are looking into an issue with Vsync and 2.3.3 at the moment, as mentioned in https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/2-3-3-stable-release-thread.87375/page-3