• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows Issue with Full Screen resolution

E

Enagic

Hi there! This is a problem I've had since I started with GMS2, but I thought that it was because I was missing Visual Studio and stuff like that. Sadly, now even with all the requeriments of GMS2, every time I run my game on full screen, the resolution get weird, cropping the image and blurrying it a bit.

I have a resolution of 1360x768, but in fullscreen it looks like it's using a much smaller one. I can't show how it looks in full screen, because if I take a screenshot I just get a white image. I don't even know if that's normal haha. Also, this happens in the editor and in the executable of the game. No differences there.

Anyway, I don't know if this is a common issue in GMS2 but I haven't found anything about it yet, so any help would be awesome!

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
If you want to use every pixel without scaling - on any monitor (regardless of res), you should query the display size (display_get_width() and display_get_height() ) and then make a view that fits that 1:1.

E

Enagic

Oh, I think I didn't explain well enough haha (my english is not the best)
The game scales without any problem at any size, even with a maximized window, is just when in fullscreen that the resolution gets weird. And this didn't happen in GMS1.4, where the game just scaled to the whole screen when in full screen, just as normal.
And the problem is independent of the view scale, since I have tested it with more projects, even with one imported from GMS1.4 (where it works perfectly in full screen), but the issue happens every time.

E

Enagic

Don't worry! I have a couple of pics to explain it better (I had to take one with my phone, since taking a screenshot while in fullscreen gives me just a white image, I don't know why) :

Here's in windowed mode (works fine in any scale)

(Debug mode is on so you can see better the limits of the view)

And here's in fullscreen mode

(The dark blue tone doesn't come from the photo, that's how it actually looks)

Sooo, yeah, I hope that explains it better. I have literally every requeriment of GMS2 installed and this still happens (and it works fine in GMS1.4).
Thanks for the help!

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
No idea why it's tinting..... you'd have to file a bug and include the project so we could take a look. If it works in windowed mode, it's nothing your doing.

As to scale/window size. Not sure. It could be the monitor is cropping (check the menu options, auto adjust etc), but again... if its filed we can take a look.

Link to the post above if you file it.

E

Enagic

Ok! I'll file a bug report. Also, it's worth saying that this only happens in my resolution (1360x768). I tried with other resolutions and it worked fine there.
Thanks!

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
I know some LG TVs struggle to properly display things sometimes. I would go through your menu settings, looking for aspect, zooming, image processing and the like. Make sure they are set to display things properly.

Also... when fullscreen, it might start using different "colour" settings (not sure) so make sure you don't have a colour temperature set.

E

Enagic

Everything is fine. It seems like the game tries another resolution when it's on fullscreen, since my TV detects another aspect ratio than 16:9 (the issue persist with any aspect ratio though). No configuration solves the problem.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
Mmmm.... starting to suspect your TV. :) We do have a TV here that just refuses to display all of some machines screens, so I know it's possible.

Usually there is a "fit" mode - my LG has a "just scan" and "original" thing..... But send it in, we'll have a look. But not taking any bets now! :D

E

Enagic

Oh, my TV has it too and it doesn't crop the view in that mode, but the image still looks weird and too bright (unlike in other resolution). And yeah, this doesn't happen with GMS1.4.

Also, I'm kind of confused with the technical specifications on the bug report page. What does the "Runtime version Number" and the "Ui log" means? (Sorry for that, I'm not too used to that stuff). And there's a prefered server to upload the project? Is Google Drive fine?

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
ahhh.... see. okay. Now in picture settings, look for "colour" "tint" or "temperature" settings. You might also have a "user" mode set. :)

log is in c:\programData\GameMakerStudio2 Runtime can be found in help->About.

Any upload place is fine.