Windows Isometric engine featuring : Depth Sorting - Z-heights - Ramps - Bitwise Grid/Collisions

Mig_PG

Isometric Engine

Cool features so far :
- Any number of floors / fevels
- Ramps / Z-height
- Pre-calculated depth sorting that handle any block dimensions. (Used a method described here : Isometric depth sorting) I did try a bunch of methods. I will talk about them in details when I next update this post.
- Bitwise 3D Grid handling all the tiles and the collisions. Lightning fast.

2020-04-20.png

About me and the engine
First and foremost, hi everyone! It's really good to be here. It has been almost 10 years since I last played with Game Maker. Now that COVID-19 forces us to stay home I got to play with one of my old passions : developing games and engines. I see that GMS2 has become much faster and efficient. I am now a teacher in elementary school and planning on developing an app to help kids learn through games. I always thought isometric perspective look great. Now that I am back, I decided to go on and do my best to create a isometric engine that is efficient and easy to use.

Also, this engine is heavily inspired by an old game me and my friend made : Have a look here. It is a pretty awesome game. Addicting and everything. We are also planning on maybe making a sequel using this engine. Anyways, without further ado, here's an .exe for you to play around with.

Download link HERE. Have fun! :)

Controls and options
WASD - Move around
Arrows - Move the view
1 to 7 - Switch block
Left click - Place block
Right click - Destroy block
Mouse Wheel - Floor Up/Down
G - Grid On/Off
U - Hide/Show GUI

As you can see it is pretty early. You will notice that the shadows are far from perfect. I did them quickly to help with the height. I will definitely complete this post and talk more about the techniques that I have used for depth sorting. I will be glad to share my knowledge. I am also looking to improve my algorithms.

What we can expect (in order of priority) :
- Better shadows :)
- Pathfinding (NPCs or enemies moving around)
- Bullets
- World rotation (4 directions)
- Save/load levels
- Custom blocks (from a tilesheet)

Please feel free to comment, criticize or share any bugs that you find. That will help a lot.