UWP Is UWP License worth it with next gen so close?

HPX

I'm wondering if it makes sense to buy the UWP license with the intent of eventually releasing games onto Xbox consoles? It's listed as being tied to the Xbox One Creators program, but with the Series X just a few months away, would I be forced to publish my game to an obsolete platform in 2-3+ years? Maybe this is a question for Microsoft, but I figured I'd ask here in case anyone knows what the smartest buy would be. I don't play games on PC and none of my friends or family play on PC, so it's important to me that I'm able to publish to console, specifically Xbox.

Thanks.

O.Stogden

I'm wondering if it makes sense to buy the UWP license with the intent of eventually releasing games onto Xbox consoles? It's listed as being tied to the Xbox One Creators program, but with the Series X just a few months away, would I be forced to publish my game to an obsolete platform in 2-3+ years? Maybe this is a question for Microsoft, but I figured I'd ask here in case anyone knows what the smartest buy would be. I don't play games on PC and none of my friends or family play on PC, so it's important to me that I'm able to publish to console, specifically Xbox.

Thanks.
Xbox Series S and Xbox Series X are backwards compatible with Xbox One titles, so if you make your game in UWP and publish on Xbox One, your game will work on XSS and XSX consoles, this was confirmed by Microsoft. Likely it would be put in a separate store category to most games though. I don't know if the method of publishing is different for XSS/XSX, but the actual file that GMS produces should work fine on XBO and XSS/XSX.

You'd have to look into whether the Xbox Live Creators Program and ID@Xbox are still valid for XSX, I haven't looked into it personally.