• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Is there any way to add 3d models to a 2d Game Maker game?

C

Coga19000

I mean, besides from the d3d draw functions; to be exact, to import a model from third-party software and have it render in 2d in the game.

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
You can use d3d functions (particularly model loading, drawing, and d3d transforms) perfectly fine without enabling d3d mode.
Prior to introduction of SWF import, this was actively used for displaying vector graphics in games.

game maker is always drawing 3d, even when it is 2d. The normal projection is orthographic. If you want to use a perspective projection (where things that are closer to the camera appear larger), you'll need to set one.

C

Coga19000

You can use d3d functions (particularly model loading, drawing, and d3d transforms) perfectly fine without enabling d3d mode.
Prior to introduction of SWF import, this was actively used for displaying vector graphics in games.
Interesting... but how do I do that? I thought d3d functions draw 3d "models" out of 2d sprites, instead of importing full 3D models from elsewhere. (Let it be clear that I have no actual experience with d3d; last time I used Game Maker I had the GM8 Lite Version, which did not support 3D in any way.)
3d software(blender,3ds max etc) can render in 2d(png frames) then you can import them to GM sprites.
I thought of that, but decided to only use it as a last resort; just thinking of all the frames I would have to render and copypaste separately makes me shiver :p
I guess it is going to be data consuming if you use rendered animations and load them into GameMaker while you can load 3D animation in GameMaker and use built-in lighting and shaders to make a good render, That is fast and awesome.
That does sound fast, and awesome, and it's exactly what I need. However, how do I do such a thing?

game maker is always drawing 3d, even when it is 2d. The normal projection is orthographic. If you want to use a perspective projection (where things that are closer to the camera appear larger), you'll need to set one.
This is not really what I'm looking for, but thanks anyways!

C

Coga19000

Well, It will take a lot of work and a lot of time, I truly don't know where to start, But I can tell you the steps, And those steps are hard :-
  1. Make a model.
  2. Texture the model.
  3. Rig the model.
  4. Animate the model.
  5. Find an MD2 python exporter for blender because you made the model and animated in blender.
  6. Export as an MD2 animated model.
  7. Find an MD2 loader for GM:Studio or write your own.
  8. Make a 3D game in GM:Studio.
  9. Import the MD2 model into GM:Studio.
  10. Do some animation in the step event.
  11. Draw the model in the draw event and remember that each frame are an array index so Model[frame] is the drawing ID.
  12. Enjoy nTris, nTC bugs for a while until you fix them.
So here are the Animation steps, But for render and light it will take a crap load time of work, It is not that easy :/ you should at least have a very good experience with d3d before you do that :)
Well, It will take a lot of work and a lot of time, I truly don't know where to start, But I can tell you the steps, And those steps are hard :-
*snip*
So here are the Animation steps, But for render and light it will take a crap load time of work, It is not that easy :/ you should at least have a very good experience with d3d before you do that :)
I see. It's a good thing 3D models are really low priority on my current project... but I do want it for my second, so I better have learnt how to do al this by then :p
Thank you!