• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - Code Is there a way to improve the quality of Spine Animations?

A

aflesher

I recently imported our first polished Spine animation into Game Maker. This animation looks great in the Spine Viewer but very poor in Game Maker 2. I imported it into Unity to compare and it looks great in there as well.

The character I'm importing has a lot more detail than the examples I've seen (i.e, it's not a vector based image with a lot of solid colors). The pieces of the character look very jagged and rough as they rotate and move throughout the animation.

On a side note I'm starting to get very concerned about the quality of Game Maker 2's spine runtimes. It seems like I'm running into bugs or issues with it pretty regularly.

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Please file a bug (along with the spine json files) and a movie to show what the issue is.

We use the standard Spine runtimes (at least the stable ones) we do not write them ourselves, they may have fixed issues that may improve the output and we have on our list to update the spine runtime at some point in the near future

Russell

Fern

I recently imported our first polished Spine animation into Game Maker. This animation looks great in the Spine Viewer but very poor in Game Maker 2. I imported it into Unity to compare and it looks great in there as well.

The character I'm importing has a lot more detail than the examples I've seen (i.e, it's not a vector based image with a lot of solid colors). The pieces of the character look very jagged and rough as they rotate and move throughout the animation.

On a side note I'm starting to get very concerned about the quality of Game Maker 2's spine runtimes. It seems like I'm running into bugs or issues with it pretty regularly.
This isn't a bug. There is no default anti-aliasing in GMS and the closest thing to smoothing would be color interpolation. When using Spine we saw the same issue (which isn't so much an issue as much as a lack of understanding).
Try using an XBR or FXAA shader over the game screen. You'll find that the edges look fantastic after that.

We use GMS 2 with Spine (Rock God Tycoon) and I use absolutely no shaders. Simply interpolation and running the game at 1080p.