Is there a way to export to Xbox One without UWP module

AceKiron

As far as I know, the Xbox One export module costs 800 dollars. Which is quite expensive, too expensive for me. I also already had to pay for Microsoft Dev Account. So isn't there another way to export to Xbox One?

You could try the UWP export (which is on sale at the moment with a 20% discount) as that allows you to publish to the XBox One Creators Program as well as all Win 10 devices. I've not used it, so not sure what experience people have had with it and publishing to the Creators Program.

Edit: Oops, just saw your title said "without UWP module". But TBH, the UWP module is different from the XBox export module (and is a lot cheaper too).

rIKmAN

As far as I know, the Xbox One export module costs 800 dollars. Which is quite expensive, too expensive for me. I also already had to pay for Microsoft Dev Account. So isn't there another way to export to Xbox One?
You wouldn't be able to buy the XB1 "Console" module without being accepted onto the ID@Xbox program by Microsoft, so that isn't an option you can just choose to buy anyway.

The UWP export will allow you to export to XB1 using your standard XB1 console in Dev Mode with the $19 Microsoft Dev Account you have already signed up for.
Without this export, there is no way to export your games from GMS2 and get it running on an XB1.

The UWP export is currently in the Summer Sale with 20% off and is $319 for a permanent lifetime licence.

D

Director_X

Can we just use the UWP license format to actually publish and sell games to XBox Marketplace?

Or do we HAVE to also buy the expensive "annual" license in order to publish and sell games on XBox Marketplace?

What exactly is the difference between the two licenses?

Very confusing.

L

Lonewolff

Yep.
  • Apply to ID@XBox.
  • Submit a GIF (Game Information File, in this case).
  • Send a demo.
  • If they like what they see, they will send you two developer consoles absolutely free.
  • Port your game to C++
  • Start selling on XBox
Reason for the port to C++ is that you are trying to avoid spending $800 for the GM XBox exporter.

I'd personally save up. For the exporter. You won't like the C++ path.

Still you won't be able to buy the exporter until after you have a game accepted by Microsoft.

rIKmAN

Can we just use the UWP license format to actually publish and sell games to XBox Marketplace?

Or do we HAVE to also buy the expensive "annual" license in order to publish and sell games on XBox Marketplace?

What exactly is the difference between the two licenses?

Very confusing.
You can buy the GMS2 UWP module and submit your games via the Creators Program using a retail XB1 in Dev Mode, then sell them on the Microsoft Store for XB1 and Windows 10 devices to purchase and download.

This simply requires you to purchase a Microsoft Dev Licence for $19 along with the GMS2 UWP module (currently "on sale" at $319 for a permanent licence), set everything up and then publish the game to the store.

The $799 per year GMS2 XB1 module cannot be used unless you are accepted onto the ID@Xbox program which requires concept approval from MS, and has some benefits over the Creators Program in terms of the functionality available for you to implement with regards to Live features and Microsoft Store placement (in terms of where your game will appear on the store).

Microsoft will also send you 2 dev kits free of charge if accepted onto ID@Xbox as Lonewolff pointed out.

There used to be differences in the accesible hardware too (available RAM, CPU cores etc) but that changed a fair while ago and they are now almost the same.

Do some research into both programs yourself via Google for more information, but a quick summary is below.

If you are looking for the cheapest way to get your GMS2 game onto the XB1 (and Windows 10 devices) then the Creators Program and the UWP module is the way to go.

Last edited:
L

Lonewolff

I was confused as hell for a second. I was sure the OP said without UWP and couldn't see it in the first post anywhere.

But it turns out it was in the title. Not going mad after all. :D

(Well not more than anyone else here anyway :p)

rIKmAN

I was confused as hell for a second. I was sure the OP said without UWP and couldn't see it in the first post anywhere.

But it turns out it was in the title. Not going mad after all. :D

(Well not more than anyone else here anyway :p)
From what was said by OP, they think UWP *is* the actual XB1 console export - saying it costs $800 was the giveaway that they hadn't done any research and didn't know the difference.

L

Lonewolff

Yeah, it does look that way now upon reading it back. Good catch.

D

Director_X

You can buy the GMS2 UWP module and submit your games via the Creators Program using a retail XB1 in Dev Mode, then sell them on the Microsoft Store for XB1 and Windows 10 devices to purchase and download.

This simply requires you to purchase a Microsoft Dev Licence for $19 along with the GMS2 UWP module (currently "on sale" at $319 for a permanent licence), set everything up and then publish the game to the store.

The $799 per year GMS2 XB1 module cannot be used unless you are accepted onto the ID@Xbox program which requires concept approval from MS, and has some benefits over the Creators Program in terms of the functionality available for you to implement with regards to Live features and Microsoft Store placement (in terms of where your game will appear on the store).

Microsoft will also send you 2 dev kits free of charge if accepted onto ID@Xbox as Lonewolff pointed out.

There used to be differences in the accesible hardware too (available RAM, CPU cores etc) but that changed a fair while ago and they are now almost the same.

Do some research into both programs yourself via Google for more information, but a quick summary is below.

If you are looking for the cheapest way to get your GMS2 game onto the XB1 (and Windows 10 devices) then the Creators Program and the UWP module is the way to go.

Thank you. This information should be in some FAQ. The main differences are lack of Multiplayer, Achievements, and visual presence. I can live with that. :)

rIKmAN

Thank you. This information should be in some FAQ. The main differences are lack of Multiplayer, Achievements, and visual presence. I can live with that. :)
There is loads of available info, but it lives in places like the Xbox website as that is the program you would be signing upto - no point in YYG regurgitating the same information already available from Microsoft themselves.

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/developers/creators-program

All that is really needed on the YYG site is the guide to setting up the UWP module and exporting to the XB1 itself, which can be found here:

https://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001256428-Setting-Up-UWP-For-Xbox-One

Anything else regarding the specifics of the program will require you to do a bit of research and follow your nose around some Google searches.