• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Distribution Is there a service that handles payment and access to your game?

M

Mobie

I have been making educational games for the school where I work and have seen promising results with students. Most students that play my games vastly improve their performance. Because of this, several people have been telling me I need to make my games available to other schools for a price. I'm thinking of a subscription setup, similar to sumdog.com, where schools can pay a yearly fee that grants access to a block of students. When the fee is paid, the teachers get access to a control panel where they can enroll and manage students.

Problem: I don't have the skills to create a system like that and don't have the time, or desire, to acquire those skills. Is there some sort of service that will host someone's work plus provide payment and password access like I mentioned above? If not, I may have to look into hiring a developer.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
If you are targeting HTML5, it's almost certain that you'll be using an HTTP-based API like this one or a custom-made solution. Since you're using sumdog.com as a reference, why not experiment with it a little or ask for a quote to see what their processes are like? If you open F12 on sumdog.com's demo section, you can see the game sending requests for analytics (and presumably for licensing+payment too). I'm assuming that they've done their research and they've settled on custom code, but don't just take their word for it --- give it some thought.

If you are targeting desktop platforms, there are services like this that provide licensing services through a native API. I have yet to see one that supports GMS out of the box, so chances are you would need to find a developer for at least the integration part.

If you are targeting Android and iOS, the approach is drastically different for going through app stores and for selling directly. For app stores like Google Play or iOS Store, you have to implement their payment API to pass muster. For selling directly, you can use native API solutions as above.

M

Mobie

If you are targeting HTML5, it's almost certain that you'll be using an HTTP-based API like this one or a custom-made solution. Since you're using sumdog.com as a reference, why not experiment with it a little or ask for a quote to see what their processes are like? If you open F12 on sumdog.com's demo section, you can see the game sending requests for analytics (and presumably for licensing+payment too). I'm assuming that they've done their research and they've settled on custom code, but don't just take their word for it --- give it some thought.

If you are targeting desktop platforms, there are services like this that provide licensing services through a native API. I have yet to see one that supports GMS out of the box, so chances are you would need to find a developer for at least the integration part.

If you are targeting Android and iOS, the approach is drastically different for going through app stores and for selling directly. For app stores like Google Play or iOS Store, you have to implement their payment API to pass muster. For selling directly, you can use native API solutions as above.
Good info. Thanks so much, FrostyCat