• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Is there a PDF version of the GMS2 Manual?

Director_X

Hi folks.

For me, the web-based online system (or the local "generated" system) are both extremely slow to work with, and am wondering if there is a PDF version for the help Manual?

If not, it would be great if was made possible in the near future. PDFs are fast and easy to manage - even when offline.

Many thanks. :)

DaveInDev

I have the same problem as you : as a beginner, I very often access the manual, which is extremely slow. I still do not understand this strange problem that I never encounter on any other manual.

O.Stogden

There used to be a local manual in GMS1. But I think it was recently removed in GMS2, in favour of the online manual with more features, and ability to link to pages of it here in the forums.

I agree though, the search functionality in particular barely works for me. It takes a few seconds to return a result, and often doesn't load the page when clicked.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Hi folks.

For me, the web-based online system (or the local "generated" system) are both extremely slow to work with, and am wondering if there is a PDF version for the help Manual?

If not, it would be great if was made possible in the near future. PDFs are fast and easy to manage - even when offline.

Many thanks. :)
There is no PDF version. It has been requested and denied many times before. If I recall correctly, it was along the lines of additional maintenance requirements vs. gains and not wanting to have potentially outdated copies of the manual floating around.

when I consult the online manual, I have page like http://127.0.0.1:51292/index.htm#t=GameMaker_Language/GML_Overview/Variables/Global_Variables.htm
how can I link this local page with a nice link as I sometimes see this on the forum ?
That's not an online manual, that's the offline manual (hosted on a local server).

Replace the part before index.html with https://manual.yoyogames.com/ to link to the online manual instead, e.g. https://manual.yoyogames.com/index....e/GML_Overview/Variables/Global_Variables.htm.

DaveInDev

Mr Magnus

Viking King
Frankly the html manual is very cumbersome and has the annoying tendency to always open up a new tab instead of just having a stable manual that is aware if it's open or not. I don't really see the benefits of this manual as opposed to the old style: there are already old manuals floating around and good chunk of the manual hasn't changed for years so I don't find the "stale" manual argument that compelling to the point I've considered compiling a pdf from the 'local' manual myself.

O.Stogden

Mr Magnus said:
Frankly the html manual is very cumbersome and has the annoying tendency to always open up a new tab instead of just having a stable manual that is aware if it's open or not. I don't really see the benefits of this manual as opposed to the old style: there are already old manuals floating around and good chunk of the manual hasn't changed for years so I don't find the "stale" manual argument that compelling to the point I've considered compiling a pdf from the 'local' manual myself.
It probably brings it more in line with other game engines, which also have their documentation stored on web pages.

But yeah, it's not good compared to the GMS 1.4 manual. Slower and buggier.

mykyl66

One way to perhaps find what your looking for in the manual easier is to search it using google. for example try this in google. "arrays site:manual.yoyogames.com" or "function site:manual.yoyogames.com"

All results will be from manual.yoyogames.com.

I use it regularly as that's the quickest way I can get to the info I am after.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Speaking of Google's "site:" search - I do the same, and I've made it a bit more convenient for myself by adding keyword bookmarks to my browser.

If I specify a bookmark with the location "https://google.com/search?q=site:manual.yoyogames.com%20%s" (that's an encoded space followed by a "%s" string wildcard) and the keyword "dadiospice23", entering "dadiospice23 draw_text" in the address bar will lead me to a Google search results page for the search query "site:manual.yoyogames.com draw_text". ;)

Mr Magnus

Viking King
Maybe I'm just getting old and grumpy and like things as they were in the "good old days", but I feel that if your users have to Google your manual to make it comfortable to use then your manual is in need of some improvement. I admit I google things I'm unsure about in GML too, and it usually brings me to the right place even if it's not the 2.3 manual.

Maybe I'm just getting old and grumpy and like things as they were in the "good old days", but I feel that if your users have to Google your manual to make it comfortable to use then your manual is in need of some improvement. I admit I google things I'm unsure about in GML too, and it usually brings me to the right place even if it's not the 2.3 manual.
I agree. The built-in search function is unfathomably strange. I have a really difficult time looking up things even if it should be simple. For example, say I want the main section on particles in GML. I search "particle."
1611880299209.png
Every single result in the third tab is for physics particles. Not what I'm looking for.

1611880353489.png
Zero results in the keywords tab for particles.

1611880391179.png
Results: Tons of DnD actions (really wish I could ignore DnD section entirely), a couple of part_particle_* functions, and the rest are physics_part_* functions. Again, no results for what I'm looking for. The closest I can get is the part_particle functions showing up, but what I'm looking for is at least 3 slow loading screens away.

Literally none of the built-in search features are of any help with more than half of my searches, to the point where I consider the searches (all three of them) completely unreliable. If there was some effort to open-source the manual, I'd be glad to contribute. Right now, the GMS manual is in a sad state. It kills me when the response to a newbie's question is "did you even read the manual; it says how it works right there", because right now it's nigh-unsearchable.

HalRiyami

In my experience, the manual (2.3) is slower than the 2.2 docs that we had before even when using the offline version. Like everyone said before, the manual is in a sad state. They gave us a new, slower interface and I struggle to find what's better about it.
I mean, this is my experience, and I imagine many others too: I update to 2.3 and read that there is a new keyword called "static". What do I do? I go to the manual, right?
Here is what searching for "static" shows:
static.png
Nothing, nothing, and a bunch of physics functions...

Or maybe type static in the code editor and middle click that? Guess what, it opens up the "Getting Started" page...

I don't understand how this is acceptable by YYG. There are multiple functions that either do not redirect you to their page or that don't even have a page. gpu_set_tex_filter() is an example of the former.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Okay, as the person that actually worked on the manual for years let's sort some things out... :)

1) The manual was updated to the new system because the previous build tools to create a chm-like HTML manual were ancient, broke all the time, and just not flexible enough for a modern toolset

2) The manual being slow is something that should be looked at as I'm not sure why that is. I suspect it's down to the sheer size of the thing, but I'm pretty sure it could be optimised and I'm certain the person that YYG are hiring will look into it.

3) The index being broken is something that I fixed before I left, but seems to have been broken again. I suspect that this is an issue with the build tools though... again the new person doing the docs will need to look at it!

4) Search being broken... Again, it used to work beautifully and I suspect that something may have been done to break it in the last update after I left. I would file a bug report about this... YYG still haven't got a dedicated writer for the docs (although they will have soon, and I'm sure they'll do a great job! ;) ), but when they do, I'm sure that and other issues will be fixed.

5) Missing pages/links. Nobody is perfect and sometimes there are functions that slip though without documentation, or features that miss getting cross-linked. Those are on me and I apologise for the inconvenience. Please file bug reports for things like that and I'm sure they'll be fixed.

gnysek

The manual being slow is something that should be looked at as I'm not sure why that is
Opera should be able to fix this 🤣

And going back to PDF... should be possible to do it with proper tools, it's just a zip, a tool to create PDF could be open sourced on github (manual itself cannot be hosted on github, as it's copyrighted), so everyone can export manual from own PC at any time.
We just need to find someone who want to code this :p

GMWolf

aka fel666
I'd Like to add that the manual isn't mobile friendly, which is a huge deal for me.
I only use the manual to help people around here, and tend to do so on my phone.
Having to pan around, zoom in, switch between portrait and landscape all the time is very frustrating.

The docs seem like some insane custom javascript powered mess of a website.
Why not use standard docs generator like sphinx?

I really dont think having a "smart" website that has panels that pop open and take forever to load is a good idea. Stick to nice static websites :)
Actually that goes for pretty much anything: stick to static websites whenever possible. Please.
[Edit] wrong use of 'static' but you know what I mean.

Last edited:

HalRiyami

@Nocturne I personally think you did an amazing job with the manual. For one person to have written all of that is insane. I won't fault the person who wrote several hundred pages of the manual, when I believe it should've been assigned to multiple people, but maybe this is how it's done in the industry.

From your post, it seems that most of my gripes with the manual appeared after you left so there seems to be a real problem at YYG.

As for point 5. Sorry if my frustration seem directed at you but I just want to point out that gpu_set_tex_filter() is a redundant gpu_set_texfilter() with the latter redirecting to it's page correctly. The issue here is that the former should not exist with 2.3. It's probably only there for compatibility reasons with 1.4 but at this point I believe it's doing more harm than good, especially since between the two, gpu_set_tex_filter() comes up first in code completion making it look like it is the official function when it clearly isn't.

GMWolf

aka fel666
The docs are made using the industry standard RoboHelp (used by the likes of IBM and DivX).
Well all I can tell yoyo is that they are paying for a product that isn't delivering a good user experience.
Who cares About fancy skinning I just want to be able to click on links from the search results. Not have to wait a minute for them to load in.
I also like my content to appear on screen, not way off to the side.
Look at this ****
Screenshot_20210129-102157_Firefox.jpg
And tbe index. omfg the index, buttons take multiple seconds to do anything.
Theres even a little Loading animation just to expand a section.
They included a loading animation to expand a section.
sseriously the new manual is a disaster .

Please use something simpler.
No one cares if it looks like a webpage and not like an app running in your browser.
We just want to navigate it quickly and find the info we need. Not stare at loading animations.

[More rants]
Robohelp has a UI? Oh no. It's a typical Adobe product!
Docs should be source or markdown in => web page out. No stupid layout ui.
Layout UI is how you get web pages that only work at specific resolutions and aspect ratios. It's how you end up with elements flying way off screen .
Heck, a doc gen tool should have one fixed layout, that it supports well on all platforms.
Docs don't need to be pretty or customized for each company. They need to be accessible.
I'm kinda mad because its another case of overcomplicating something That should be simple, costing money and making the experience worse for everyone.

Last edited:

gnysek

YYG chosen a product which allows to have search database without real database (it's JS index in this case), so it's portable.

If someone know better solution - you're welcome to prepare converter, you've got all needed files on your disk among with GMS (manual is now probably in ProgramData instead of ProgramFiles).

GMWolf

aka fel666
YYG chosen a product which allows to have search database without real database (it's JS index in this case), so it's portable.
Yet completely unusable on mobile devices.
It also depsmt explain the second long wait toeexpand menus in the index. That should be instant, nothing to load.

If someone know better solution - you're welcome to prepare converter, you've got all needed files on your disk among with GMS (manual is now probably in ProgramData instead of ProgramFiles).
Yeah I though about making it my weekend project.

GMWolf

aka fel666
Cause it's meant to be used together with IDE, which is completely unavailable on mobile devices. Online version is a bonus to link it on forum in fact :)
Docs should be ACCESSIBLE.
Number one priority! (After, maybe, accuracy).
And that means having something straight forward, that easy to navigate.

Last edited:

Mr Magnus

Viking King
Okay, as the person that actually worked on the manual for years let's sort some things out... :)
In your defense Nocturne the actual contents of the manual is fantastic: you did a stand up job writing the thing. It's just that the current framework around that great content is in dire need of some patching up. You wouldn't be willing to get hired by Yoyogames as a contractor for an outrageous markup to make the manual great again? ;)

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
In your defense Nocturne the actual contents of the manual is fantastic: you did a stand up job writing the thing. It's just that the current framework around that great content is in dire need of some patching up. You wouldn't be willing to get hired by Yoyogames as a contractor for an outrageous markup to make the manual great again? ;)
I'm afraid not... I don't think Asobo would be too happy with me doing that... AND I believe YYG have someone lined up who will do an outstanding job of not only fixing things, but improving them in every respect. ;)

Mr Magnus

Viking King
I hope you're right on that: I'll wait in excitement with my pitchfork stowed away and see!

(However I am not afraid of pulling it out again, it's in need of sharpening!)

Director_X

Where exactly is this manual sitting on our hard drives? Is it a complete folder-structure, or a mish-mash of webpages? Perhaps we can find a program to locally convert an entire html folder into a PDF for ourselves?

gnysek

From what I remember you can't share manual with images. I once had a github repo to track manual changes between GMS updates, and Russell asked me to remove it, cause some content might be copyrighted. So if you prepare PDF or better version, you need to share how to make it, as sharing ready work might not be legal... :(

DaveInDev

C:\ProgramData\GameMakerStudio2\Manual\GMS2-Robohelp-en.zip
I just decompressed this ZIP and opened the index.htm under chrome, and..... it's really faster than the original manual !!! No more "waiting" icon : links are instant and even the search is fastest.
Do I have to understand that this manual is always exploited in a ZIP form and that's why it is so slow to parse ? Maybe also because of this kind of local server http://127.0.0.1:51292 ?
Very strange choice.

The only problem now is that I cannot "link" it to the contextual F1 key...

GMWolf

aka fel666
From what I remember you can't share manual with images. I once had a github repo to track manual changes between GMS updates, and Russell asked me to remove it, cause some content might be copyrighted. So if you prepare PDF or better version, you need to share how to make it, as sharing ready work might not be legal... :(
I wonder if you could just source the data from the online manual and display it differently.
The pages are actually available without the search bar, it shouldn't be difficult to display it in an iframe.

The HTML is actually surprisingly clean. It's just a shame it behaves so poorly on mobile.

The individual pages themselves Dont seem well optimized for mobile either, the top kinda gets cut off.

But again, very clean HTML, should be fairly simple to remove the problematic header and apply a theme that's a little more readable. (Not a fan of the black on great on black on grey aesthetic when I'm trying to read info)
It might even be possible to add syntax highlighting !

I just decompressed this ZIP and opened the index.htm under chrome, and..... it's really faster than the original manual !!! No more "waiting" icon : links are instant and even the search is fastest.
Do I have to understand that this manual is always exploited in a ZIP form and that's why it is so slow to parse ? Maybe also because of this kind of local server http://127.0.0.1:51292 ?
Very strange choice.

If it is because it's constantly decompressing files as their links are loaded, that's... bizarre and inefficient to say the least. The unzipped manual is only around 40MB larger, but it's leaps and bounds beyond the default F1 manual in speed.

HalRiyami

Very strange choice.

That's about as far as I got too. I was able to link the local files to the F1 key but not the contextual F1 key. The funny thing is that my uncompressed manual is only 10MB larger than the zip file but the performance difference is day and night.

Bobious

Very strange choice.

Works AWSOME! Now its just about as fast as the 1.4 manual!
As to the shortcut problem, I just made a shortcut to "index" on the desktop and bound it to "Ctrl+Alt+M" in the properties. Of course, I'm not used to using the F1 key anyway, so it might not work as well for other people.

HalRiyami

How did you do it, even just for the simple non contextual F1 ?
I wouldn't recommend it. It broke the contextual F1 but if you want to try it then you can do it this way (I recommend backing up anything you change):
1. Extract the zip file, open the index.htm, and copy the path to that from your browser.
2. Go to GMS2 installation folder and navigate to Languages, then open the .csv file of your language with a text editor (excel will break it), I use sublime. (You might need to give yourself permission to edit the file)
3. Change the URL under ONLINE_MANUAL_URL to be the path you copied.
4. In GMS, change your setting to use the online manual and it should work.