SOLVED Is there a convenient way to cut a sprite sheet?

Cedrus

I tried the "import strip image" function and the tool I was presented with there was extremely inconvenient to use because if even one sprite is not in the right location by a single pixel it doesn't work.
Is there any other way where I can separate the image from within GameMaker and/or am I using the "import strip image" function wrong?

Thanks in advance for any helpful information.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
The tool is correct and you should prepare your sprites adequately to use it. A sprite strip should have all images occupying the same space, even if that means padding some images with empty pixels to make them the correct width/height and position.

SSJCoder

try moving stuff around in the sprite sheet and using a visible grid in the sprite editor - then once you have all the sprites in the right location you can try importing as a "strip image", so effectively, you're "cutting" them to the right shape/size

so, just for clarity: import as a single image, then activate game maker's grid and put to a rough size of each image as the grid size - then once you have that, put each sprite in every grid box, and once you complete that, save the image, then import as strip .

curato

If I am setting strips up manually, in paint.net I just put a layer under the one I am doing for the sprites and use the grid widget to draw the grid to line them up. Also I usually put each frame on a separate layer to make it a little easier to move them around. When you got it right just hide the grid and do a save as PNG.