• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE Is the mouse cursor supposed to be like this?

F

farkuldi

Bit of an odd question I guess, but I just bought the software and am using it for the first time today, and the mouse is a bit weird. It isn't a standard cursor, but a vertical line with arrows at the top and bottom. It stays this way almost all the time, including when you need to select something, which feels strange. (Because usually a select mouse is a pointer of some kind, and this is . . . an arrow line.)

So I wondered if maybe it was a bug, or--hopefully--a setting in the preferences I have not found. I am using the Mac version, v. 2.2.3.436.

Can anyone please tell me? Thanks in advance.

Here's a screenshot:

<Image Link Removed - Malicious Domain Detected>/qx1MyXk

F

farkuldi

It removed my screenshot link saying it was malicious for some reason. So I tried to edit my post and it is blocking me saying it is spam. Okay.

Well, the cursor is just a line with a double arrow.

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
It removed my screenshot link saying it was malicious for some reason. So I tried to edit my post and it is blocking me saying it is spam. Okay.

Well, the cursor is just a line with a double arrow.
Try attaching an image to the post (not sure if allowed at <5 posts) or uploading it to common-use domain like IMGUR.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Have you tried simply restarting GMS2? I've seen this issue very occasionally when the cursor gets "stuck" after hovering over the edge of a window or something, and a restart usually solves it.

Hyomoto

Nocturne is right, but it's an old, old, old bug. The answer is no, it isn't meant to be like that but it happens to me frequently enough I've learned to ignore it to some extent. So it's also not terribly uncommon. Restarting the IDE will fix it.

F

farkuldi

Try attaching an image to the post (not sure if allowed at <5 posts) or uploading it to common-use domain like IMGUR.
No, it would not let me insert the image either unfortunately. I used ImgBB for my link, which I thought was reputable. Unfortunately the screenshot is on my other computer now, at home.

It's alright. I wish I could post it, but it looks like people seem to know what I mean at least.

F

farkuldi

Thanks to you both. I did try restarting the software, but the weird cursor comes back after a few clicks around the interface. So I installed GameMaker to a different computer (both machines are MacBook Pros, but the other one is a newer generation), and on this one the mouse looks as it should.

So it does seem to be a bug. I will just work on this one I guess.

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
Thanks to you both. I did try restarting the software, but the weird cursor comes back after a few clicks around the interface. So I installed GameMaker to a different computer (both machines are MacBook Pros, but the other one is a newer generation), and on this one the mouse looks as it should.

So it does seem to be a bug. I will just work on this one I guess.
try seeing if your mouse cursor is bugged, im assuming its on a windows computer so
  1. Choose Start, Control Panel
  2. In the Control Panel, choose Ease of Access
  3. On the next screen, click on the link that says “Change how your mouse works.”
  4. At the top of the next window, you will find the options for changing both the size and color of your pointer

This is still a problem two years later. My mouse cursor gets stuck on the double arrows all the time and have to close out Gamemaker Studio 2 and reopen to fix. It’s annoying and should
Be something simple to fix but two years later it hasn’t?

rIKmAN

This is still a problem two years later. My mouse cursor gets stuck on the double arrows all the time and have to close out Gamemaker Studio 2 and reopen to fix. It’s annoying and should
It's possible it was fixed and then reintroduced again in a later update - a lot has changed with GMS2 in the last 2yrs.
File a bug report using Help > Report a Bug in the IDE.

Also try not to necro 2yr old threads, especially when you have also just created your own thread on the same issue.
Have a read through the Community Guidelines and welcome to the forum.

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
Honestly? its not a huge issue other then the mouse looks weird, i've just become used to it and ignore it when it happens, sometimes it fixes itself after a while

Honestly? its not a huge issue other then the mouse looks weird, i've just become used to it and ignore it when it happens, sometimes it fixes itself after a while
Yea that’s how it does for me. Sometimes it’ll fix itself after a short period, other times you have to close and reopen everything to fix it. I agree it’s not a huge issue but it does get annoying. I am new to, and learning, Gamemaker and have had a couple buggy issues here recently. Just got aggravated a little I suppose...I’ll do the bug report. Thanks for the replies.

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
If it happens to you a lot, and with a specific cursor, you could replace it with the "arrow" cursor in <GMS2 install directory>/GUI/Skins/<name>/Cursors

It varies I guess, sometimes it seems to happen constantly but another session I may never see the problem really. Maybe it depends on what you’re doing and placing the pointer on a lot. But I’ll try that if it keeps up and becomes a bigger nuisance. Thanks a bunch.