• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Discussion Is the GMC a valid art form?

M

Misty

Like those old 3d games, like MonkeyDude, That Games Guy, mechanikos and FPS games. Most of them had the 640x480 slightly blurred look to them and a distinct and unique GMC kind of feels to them. I wanted to make it in the style of those older GMC games, like That Games Guy's flight sim, without it sucking like That Games Guy's flight sim. It's like a what if - what if TTG's flight sim was everything you imagined it to be, and more, well then you'd get this game.

Anyway, my new flight sim will be released soon, so stay tuned.

GMC games have a distinct style and flavor, especially those older games but also the 2d games too. I guess that's my thesis.

M

Misty

You mean the aesthetics of chintzy and forced by armatures into an engine not design for it? Yeah, its great! lol
nah man you don't get the nuances. We have something here, a valid artform.

Granted, most of those old games sucked (except hovertank) but if we keep the core aesthetic, and make the game itself not suck, we may have something here...

You know how there are different things, like Steampunk, Starwars, Startrek, etc.... Well the GMC style is like it's own thing...like its own kind of art style.

N64 games were 640x480 but still don't have that unique feel and flavor like the GMC style.

Roa

nah man you don't get the nuances. We have something here, a valid artform.

Granted, most of those old games sucked (except hovertank) but if we keep the core aesthetic, and make the game itself not suck, we may have something here...

You know how there are different things, like Steampunk, Starwars, Startrek, etc.... Well the GMC style is like it's own thing...like its own kind of art style.

N64 games were 640x480 but still don't have that unique feel and flavor like the GMC style.
I actually have no idea what you are talking about, but you answered your own question in the 2nd post. So that's cool. lol

A

Andy

I do like the classic feel of old GM games. Ones that used resources Mark had provided or RPG Maker kits, in a mix and match style. Examples:

Technically a mess, but the sloppy style gives me a happy feeling. In a way it's an art style.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

MikeDark_x

Steampunk is technically art mets mad scientist... Functional pieces of steam technology that are on it's own a form of art... also classy stuff mixed with punk in general when it comes to clothing... Starwars is a Sci-Fi Movie and Startrek as well... Hmm... I can't see how they are related to this but I love steampunk stuff so whatever...

C

ConsolCWBY

GMC-Punk. <===we need more of this...
GMC-Funk <====we need less of this...

(as an old lurker and sandbox user, just sayin')

TehPilot

I do like the classic feel of old GM games. Ones that used resources Mark had provided or RPG Maker kits, in a mix and match style. [...]
This is the aesthetic I live for. Whenever anyone says something looks "like a Game Maker game", this is what I envision. That very picture invokes memories of my old sandbox uploads, one of which was a platformer that used all the sprites/viewport settings of the tutorial, and that glorious Catch the Clown wall sprite for collisions.

M

Matthew

I will never capture the magic of game development I saw as a kid.

M

MishMash

What are you on about? These are the topics that make the off topic section so stupid. I can feel my brain-cells dying just from reading this.. Atleast make it clear if you are discussing the games on the GMC, or the GMC itself. This is just such an "empty" topic, no depth or potential for reasonable discussion, why do people keep on posting in these?!?

C

ConsolCWBY

Atleast make it clear if you are discussing the games on the GMC, or the GMC itself.
The OP asked for people's opinion if the old-style Game Maker games were a legit style, or not. I think the OP is thinking about bringing back the old days, or at least looking for opinions on the matter. I think @Andy contributed nicely. And as a former sandbox user, this topic is of interest to me. It seems as worthy of discussion as anything else in Off Topic.

S

Supercoder

I will never capture the magic of game development I saw as a kid.
This is sad because of how true it is. When we're young, we have so many ideas and we aren't really constrained by "software" or "gameplay". But, as we get older, we generally lose that. Sad life bad life.