• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Graphics Is Spine well Supported; also Scanning in hand-drawn art

Hello all,

I was just wondering if there was anyone out there who could give me some advice for bringing in drawings done with actual pen/paint/paper and using them as sprites. When I use a camera or scanner to get a digital version of my artist's drawings the resulting file is huge compared to the traditional sprite sheets I've used in the past. This comes as no shock to me since my artist used most of the space on a standard size piece of paper to draw the first character (I'm talking one still image here, not even the entire sprite sheet). I intend to ask my artist to break down the character drawing into several different pieces such that things like facial expression. limb motion, clothing/accessories can all be drawn in parallel at run/time.

I have been looking into hiring a Spine animator so that my artist does not have to draw frame by frame. My artist is a family member who offered to design my characters (he is a retired professional artist). Animating isn't really his thing but he is quite talented imo. I don't want to go overboard with this favor by asking for animation from him.

My two main questions to the community are:

1. Do you generally feel Spine is well supported in Gamemaker (GMS2 to be specific) to the point that it is worth learning how to integrate it? (I'm skeptical of using it since I've seen a lot of complaints about it not being fully implemented / well implemented according to people on the forums here)

2. What approach would you take to making an artists hand-drawn images be the right size for a game?
a) Asking the artist to draw smaller
b) Scaling the scans down with a program like paint.net
c) Using variables like image_xscale and image_yscale (I figure this is the worst idea since it could have the most direct effects on the games code and processing)
d) Some other strategy not listed here

thanks for reading!

rIKmAN

1. Do you generally feel Spine is well supported in Gamemaker (GMS2 to be specific) to the point that it is worth learning how to integrate it? (I'm skeptical of using it since I've seen a lot of complaints about it not being fully implemented / well implemented according to people on the forums here)

2. What approach would you take to making an artists hand-drawn images be the right size for a game?
a) Asking the artist to draw smaller
b) Scaling the scans down with a program like paint.net
c) Using variables like image_xscale and image_yscale (I figure this is the worst idea since it could have the most direct effects on the games code and processing)
d) Some other strategy not listed here

thanks for reading!
A lot of the forum posts you would have seen (including from me) will have been referring to a time before the GMS2 Spine runtime update where the runtimes were 2yrs behind Spine itself and lacked support for pretty much everything that Spine had added in the previous 2 years.

GMS2 has since been updated and now supports all features included in Spine upto version 3.7.94 (the final version of 3.7.x).
Spine 3.8 was just just recently released and is currrently not supported in GMS2 yet.

With regards to your art, it depends on the style.
if it's possible to redraw the imported art in a vector program then you can rescale it any way you choose with no quality loss before exporting as sprites, so the source image size doesn't really matter.

If you want to just import it and use it as-is then the best thing you can do is run some tests and see the results for yourself to see which you prefer.

Rescaling them will probably produce some artifacts and/or distortion, but depending on the style, resolution of your game, interpolation use etc it will vary from very noticable to totally unnoticable.

Nothing will inform you better than hands on testing using your intended art pipeline.

Last edited: