• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Mac OSX Is opening projects made with windows IDE on mac IDE (and vice versa) perfectly safe?

Carbon

Is there a chance it will break my projects by doing this? Has it been officially tested and confirmed that it is safe?

First a caveat : There is always a chance when you do anything that the project will break. That's why we do backups / use source control.

Second, I am only a sample size of one, so this is hardly an official statement :)

However, I have been opening the same projects in both Windows and Mac IDE without any problems.

In the early beta versions of GMS 2, there were some compatibility issues, but I haven't noticed any over the past year or so.

Recommend you make a backup of your project and do some testing for yourself just to be sure.

Dog Slobber

I also have opened dozens of projects with both Mac and Windows. Sometimes using source control, sometimes from a common share, sometimes by copying the projects across. I haven't had any issues.

I don't know what you mean by "has it been officially tested". It is the same product for Mac and Windows.

Second, I am only a sample size of one, so this is hardly an official statement :)
Sample size has doubled.