• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Is my graphics card good enough?

J

JackTheCuddlyLunatic

I'm new to programming/coding, and am unsure whether my laptop's graphics card will handle any of the high-end graphics for GameMaker. My graphics card information is attached to this thread. I would appreciate it if I knew more about this, recommendations for better graphics cards, etc. I would also appreciate a rating of my graphics card on a scale of 1-10, with 10 being able to support even the most outrageously detailed games, and 1 being a potato would work better than it. Many thanks in advance!

Graphics Card Thing.PNG

Roldy

I'm new to programming/coding, and am unsure whether my laptop's graphics card will handle any of the high-end graphics for GameMaker. My graphics card information is attached to this thread. I would appreciate it if I knew more about this, recommendations for better graphics cards, etc. I would also appreciate a rating of my graphics card on a scale of 1-10, with 10 being able to support even the most outrageously detailed games, and 1 being a potato would work better than it. Many thanks in advance!

View attachment 33293

This page has a link to minimum requirement for GMS2:

All GMS2 installs require at least 3GB free disk space and an internet connection at least once a month (we would recommend always-on broadband). GMS2 also requires a 64-bit OS to install and run.
Minimum Spec
  • Windows 7 with SP1* or macOS Mojave
  • Dual Core CPU
  • 2GB RAM
  • OpenGL 4-compliant onboard graphics
  • HDD
Recommended Spec
  • Windows 10 or macOS Catalina
  • Quad Core CPU
  • 8GB RAM
  • Dedicated graphics card
  • SSD
For detailed information on the tools you will require to build your projects, please see our Required SDKs FAQ (where you will also find links to our platform setup guides).
* Please note that making games for some platforms will require newer than this
Recommended is a dedicated graphics card but minimum list onboard graphics are OK.

You can download a trial and see how it runs. It will probably run well enough to do work. But I imagine it won't be nice.

There are plenty of graphics card rating sites you can check to get a rating for your card. Intel Iris graphics depend on the CPU and come in different versions. Here is one rating for your card.

Somewhere around 'garbage' or 'potato'. However, I have always been surprised how well integrated graphics do preform and so I would say it will probably work for you to get started with GMS2.

Only one way to know. Download the trial and run it.

D

Deleted member 13992

Like the poster above says, just download the trial and download some demos!

I'm sure it'll be fine. My windows tablet has an Intel HD 620 which is rated even lower than yours on passmark. But I've run my current project on it that uses many surfaces and shaders (for shadows, depth of field, etc) all the time at 200fps.

I would not describe GM's graphcis as 'high-end' compared to other 3d engines. But with some creativity it can do very well.

I've been using Intel HD graphics on my laptop and it works fine for 2D games (depending on how well optimized it is). I played games that lagged like hell despite it being very simple looking. On the other hand, there were many beautiful games I played and it ran at a constant 60 fps. You can use your laptop to your advantage by using it as a benchmark and see how well your games run on a low-end GPU. There are some problems that you might bypass if you are using a powerful GPU.

I think Iris graphics is better than hd graphics but I could be wrong.