• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Discussion Is it's good idea to move project from GMS1 to 2 right now?

T

TGHoly

I need some suggestion for our development decision.

Me and my friend working on PC platformer game with GMS1 for year [and we take it serious not just mere hobby] and interest to move our project to GMS2 but we can't decide due the hard choice we have to choose..

[Reason we want to move to GMS2.]
- From experience we had with our previous project Compile/Save time in GMS1 is so painful...[5-10 min waiting or some time GMS simply not response] as if we waste half of development time just to save our project or test small change we did to the game. this's our main reason we want to stay away from GMS1 and seem like these issue not happen on GMS2.

- New interest feature GMS2 provide such as animate tile set.

[Reason we can't decide to use GMS2.]
- No export function yet... Consider we plan to finish and release this project in next 4-5 month but at moment still no sign when GMS2 will leave from Beta stage and release exporter.

I hope anyone can help us decide what we should do.
Thank you and sorry for my English.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
- No export function yet... Consider we plan to finish and release this project in next 4-5 month but at moment still no sign when GMS2 will leave from Beta stage and release exporter.
Roadmap.
The launch is already planned.
The Desktop beta can already export to Desktop platforms.

That aside... GM:S2 in its current state is not meant for production usage, it is meant for testing. I can't suggest anyone to use a tool for something it wasn't made for with a clean conscience - this will just result in expectations and results differing and thus inevitably creating disappointment once the illusion shatters.

Last edited:

Llama_Code

The Desktop export is available if you buy it, however it is still beta, so I agree with @TsukaYuriko, if its a serious project I would wait until it's out of beta, I have already bought it but I am just playing with it. My serious stuff is still in 1.4 ATM. If your ETA is 4-5 months then 2 should be out of Beta by then, should be out by March.

The new features are great, but something could drastically change and ruin your project to, it is still beta for testing only.

F

freekshow_kc

depends
i was able to port one of my projects within a few hours, this now runs on GM2, and i even published it to steam for linux and windows
another project would be a pain in the ass to convert, its totally not worth especially because the game is basically finished, so it will stay GM 1.X forever ;)

Use at your own discretion at this point. The new IDE is much more comfortable and productive for me, and that fueled my decision. Since you would still have the old project, you wouldn't stand to lose too much.

I actually imported my game, rewrote most of it, then (manually) backward ported it to release on Android. I wouldn't recommend it, but writing reverse-compatibility scripts was kind of fun. :)