• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Is it top down shooter?

F

freekadelko

Hello everyone!
I super new to GameMaker and game-development too. But for now I`d like to know how to do view in game like in Hyper Light drifter. I think its TOP DOWN, right? But main snag is perspective, it have some angle or something. It would be best if you show some lessons how to do it.
Please, help! Thanks for attention.

Ralucipe

A true top down game would show only the top of the head of the player character. These kind of games are much easier to make both programmatically and graphically but they don't look nearly as appealing.

I don't know the technical name for what Hyper Light Drifter uses, but you are correct in the sense that it uses an artificial camera angle rather than being totally top-down. It is much prettier, and much more difficult to make, since you essentially have to create a pseudo-3D world yet a 2D one programmatically.

Don't get too ambitious about what you want to program! Game programming, even in GameMaker Studio, first takes lots of practice and learning before you can make your own dream game. Start out small; make easier projects. Go through some beginner tutorials first, there's plenty of them out there for GMS :)

A

anomalous

You did it correctly, showing a picture is best. There are lots of terms people throw around but at the end of the day the one I saw as useful was "rpg perspective". It's a cheat perspective.

You get started by learning GMS, by making mini game prototypes, etc. You download free graphics from any source and just frankenstein it into test prototypes to learn how to code.
The only tip you may need for this perspective is:
depth = -y;

Good luck.

spe

This effect is actually pretty easy. There's really no programming involved, it should be exactly the same thing from a true top-down game. The only difference is in the graphics. You just have to create your sprites at an angle, and maybe adjust the collision boxes to match. Here's a pretty simple tutorial on how to achieve this effect:
(You may want to watch the whole video, or perhaps even the previous videos in the series, but the part I linked you to deals specifically with the graphics. Good luck!)

F

freekadelko

Thank you so much for your help!
You are great community who inspire and explain a lot of things... Thank you all again and have a nice day! And I'll go and watch a couple of tutorial.