• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

SOLVED Is it safe to work around a bug and make adjustments when a fix is released?

flyinian

I'd like to start making some rooms for my game. However, the room inheritance has a bug where you can't paint outside of the parent's room size.

Does anyone know if its safe to set the parent's room size larger than what's needed and create the child's room and paint it then once a fix is finally released, I can go back and resize the parent's room size smaller than it's child's w/ out any problems?

I really want to say this is a very minor bug and won't have any impact on anything once its fixed. The room sizes wont be changed when a fix is released resulting in no unwanted changes. Right?

Inheritance only works on child create and not afterwards unless I actually click on the inherit buttons?

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
I don't know how "safe" things are....but room's sizes doesn't generally have much effect on the game itself, unless you are directly using room_width or room_height for something. In fact, the view and objects can easily move outside of the room size based ranges just fine and things should still work. It just effects the room editor itself.

That said, I've never used the room inheritance features, so I'm not 100% on how this is all going to work in the end. I DO know that unless the bug has been reported, it likely won't get fixed. And even if you know it was reported and confirmed, it depends on luck whether it gets fixed and how soon, so reality is that you may be better off just assuming it will never get fixed and move on with your workaround and continue your project.

flyinian

I don't know how "safe" things are....but room's sizes doesn't generally have much effect on the game itself, unless you are directly using room_width or room_height for something. In fact, the view and objects can easily move outside of the room size based ranges just fine and things should still work. It just effects the room editor itself.

That said, I've never used the room inheritance features, so I'm not 100% on how this is all going to work in the end. I DO know that unless the bug has been reported, it likely won't get fixed. And even if you know it was reported and confirmed, it depends on luck whether it gets fixed and how soon, so reality is that you may be better off just assuming it will never get fixed and move on with your workaround and continue your project.
Alright. I'll do the work around and hope for the best. šŸ˜¬
Thanks for the reply.