GameMaker Is it possible to set a file path

Beedub

I am trying to work out if it is possible to have the player set a specific file path to load level files from.

I currently have my game loading level data files from the game directory, but I want to have to player select their level files they designed and have the game load those levels. I want to make sure this is possible before investing time into creating a level editor for my game.

I think I saw a post in the past on the forum that stated this was not possible, but I'm posting to see if anybody has found a way around this issue, or if new functionality has been introduced.

H

Homunculus

You can’t simply set an arbitrary path outside of the game directory and load / save files there freely, but you can do that on single files using get_save_filename and get_load_filename on mac and windows platforms.

Alternatively there are a few extensions on the marketplace to work with file outside of the sandbox

Beedub

Thanks Catan,

I will have a look at the extensions on the marketplace as well as check out the get_save_filename and get_load_filename commands