• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

iOS Is it possible to read / write to the app Documents folder in IOS?

bsabiston

I'd like to write my save game files to the iOS app Documents folder, so that users can get to them through the Files app on their phone. Is that possible with GameMaker?

Joe Ellis

Yeah, you need to disable the file system sandbox (Which prevents saving or loading any files from outside the folders to do with the game)
On the game options:

-Edit- I'm not actually sure this applies with iOS.. Sorry if it doesn't.

Last edited:

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
-Edit- I'm not actually sure this applies with iOS.. Sorry if it doesn't.
That option is for Mac only, not iOS. When YoYo added that option, they only added it to Windows, Mac, and Ubuntu. For that option to work in iOS and Android, there needs to be on-compile modifications to the product's manifest and other file handling routines for compliance, something YoYo isn't willing to handle as of the time of writing.

I would love to see extension-level support for these kinds of file access, though.