• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Game Mechanics Is it possible to make TRPG games on game maker studio?

A

Artwark

I am a fan of Fire Emblem and I am inspired to make a Tactical RPG or a Strategy RPG very much like Fire Emblem.

Thing is, I haven't seen anyone ever doing this genre in game maker. Is it possible to do so?

To those that don't know fire emblem, think of it as chess only adding more variety in which case, the field you stay in determines your evasion towards enemy attacks and there are stat growths based on random number generator and of course, AI programming.

Now from the sounds of it, I know that its very complex for me to do it right now and I still have a long way to go to master game maker but if it is possible to do, someday I might want to make such a game.

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Yup, I made a game called Shattered World for a competition a few years ago. Never got around to completing it after the competition, but I'm kinda proud over what I managed to do.

Also, I've even made a simple engine for Tactics games that you might be interested in checking out, and if you're inclined, Shattered World's source file is also for sale (but it's a lot more complicated stuff).

Didjargo

You can make anything you want in GMS. Well, anything in 2D anyways. There are even functions built into GM which involve path finding in a grid. Ideal for building a Fire Emblem like game. Just look up the "Motion Planning" section of the help files. Also, to help manage the stats and whatnot of a lot of different units, I suggest getting comfortable with "2D Arrays".

Genetix

Absolutely possible, i've been building my own Tactical RPG Engine for the last few months and am coming along well. It is definitely one of the hardest types of games I have ever tried to build though, fair warning. If you aren't pretty experienced with GM Studio and game design in general, I would hold off on any dreams to build an amazing TRPG for awhile - but it is absolutely possible to do so.

jazzzar

YOU CAN MAKE ANYTHING IN GAMEMAKER, LITERALLY...ANYTHING, but the things is, everything has it's own complexity so you need to learn alot to start working on something like that