Idea is it possible to make a RPG without the rpg yoyo engine?

S

Sally-Ryukia

hello, im new to GameMaker and saw the RPG engine thing.
was wondering is it possible to make a rpg without it, or is it a must need to make one.

i have an idea for one but im new everything so may take time beforehand,
[if im in wrong forum forgive me, also sorry about the prefix.... i got confused]

S

Sally-Ryukia

Anything is possible with GMS :)
so i don't need the rpg engine then?.

is there any tutorials on how to make RPGs [might have to start with basic tutorials first but just still wondered]

makas

there are a lot of tutorials to make rpgs, specially in youtube, what kind of rpg are you looking for? like zelda? like final fantasy?

S

Sally-Ryukia

there are a lot of tutorials to make rpgs, specially in youtube, what kind of rpg are you looking for? like zelda? like final fantasy?
hard to explain, my RPG is gonna have a cooking theme [and maybe some fighting] still haven't planned all the details, but the fighting half will probably be like final fantasy in a way

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Yeah, it's definitely possible to make an RPG on your own. It's just a lot of work to handle data and such, so a lot of people make engines for it to offload presumptive RPG creators. Yoyo's official engine probably has the highest production values, but it's more geared towards action-RPGs like Zelda clones.

I've actually made a bunch of possibly useful stuff myself:

S

Sally-Ryukia

Yeah, it's definitely possible to make an RPG on your own. It's just a lot of work to handle data and such, so a lot of people make engines for it to offload presumptive RPG creators. Yoyo's official engine probably has the highest production values, but it's more geared towards action-RPGs like Zelda clones.

I've actually made a bunch of possibly useful stuff myself:
yeah but i can't really get none of that, ill have to make everything from scratch, including the npc cnversation which will probably be the toughest

Genetix

I decided to buy YoYo RPG and try it out - if anything for some of the resources, it is pretty good but ultimately I would avoid it. I've made many RPG's in GM over the last 16 years and the best way to do it is just start from scratch.

Go ahead and build your own engine!

Just take it step by step:
- Player movement
- Combat System (YoYo is action based by the way, it doesn't do Turn Based)
- Basic Enemies and AI
- Experience & Leveling Up
- Dialogue System
- Quest System
- Item Inventory

.... and keep going, tackle one of these steps at a time, and break them down into further steps. You'll be glad you did, and learn a ton!

My first RPG's were not amazing, but I had a great time building them and now have a much better idea of how to build my own from scratch.

K

Kululu17

Hi - not sure if this is exactly like what you mean by cooking, but I did an RPG a while back that had a "potion brewing" function. I did it from scratch with game maker. It's on the "work in progress" thread on this forum with the title "The Witch of Darkmoore Forest"

https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.p...e-forest-hillariously-amusing-adventure.1844/

Give it a shot, and see if it is along the lines of what you want to develop. If so, than you don't need the yoyo rpg engine.

M

Me Myself and I

There are several RPG engines and tutorials out there -- you don't need to use the official YoYo Games one.

The biggest advantage of using an existing engine is that most of the heavy lifting is already done - you just need to tweak it for your purposes.