• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Windows Is it possible to import code from JavaScript and use it in Game Maker? (Rubik's cube scrambler)

D

DevNorway

I found a open source code for a WCA-scrambler. Now, how would I go about getting the "scramble" from the given code into game maker?
HTML:
<script>
var cube = {
    // Define the six faces of the cube
    faces: "DLBURF",
    // This will contain a history of all the states to make sure we don't repeat a state
    states: [],
    // Which stickers are part of the same layer and should move along with the face
    edges: {
        D: [46, 45, 44, 38, 37, 36, 22, 21, 20, 14, 13, 12],
        L: [24, 31, 30, 40, 47, 46, 0, 7, 6, 20, 19, 18],
        B: [26, 25, 24, 8, 15, 14, 6, 5, 4, 36, 35, 34],
        U: [18, 17, 16, 34, 33, 32, 42, 41, 40, 10, 9, 8],
        R: [28, 27, 26, 16, 23, 22, 4, 3, 2, 44, 43, 42],
        F: [30, 29, 28, 32, 39, 38, 2, 1, 0, 12, 11, 10]
    },
    // Sets the cube to the solved state
    reset: function () {
        cube.states = ["yyyyyyyyoooooooobbbbbbbbwwwwwwwwrrrrrrrrgggggggg"];
    },
    // Twist the cube according to a move in WCA notation
    twist: function (state, move) {
        var i, k, prevState, face = move.charAt(0), faceIndex = cube.faces.indexOf(move.charAt(0)),
            turns = move.length > 1 ? (move.charAt(1) === "2" ? 2 : 3) : 1;
        state = state.split("");
        for (i = 0; i < turns; i++) {
            prevState = state.slice(0);
            // Rotate the stickers on the face itself
            for (k = 0; k < 8; k++) { state[(faceIndex * 8) + k] = prevState[(faceIndex * 8) + ((k + 6) % 8)]; }
            // Rotate the adjacent stickers that are part of the same layer
            for (k = 0; k < 12; k++) { state[cube.edges[face][k]] = prevState[cube.edges[face][(k + 9) % 12]]; }
        }
        return state.join("");
    },
    // Scramble the cube
    scramble: function () {
        var count = 0, total = 25, state, prevState = cube.states[cube.states.length - 1],
            move, moves = [], modifiers = ["", "'", "2"];
        while (count < total) {
            // Generate a random move
            move = cube.faces[Math.floor(Math.random() * 6)] + modifiers[Math.floor(Math.random() * 3)];
            // Don't move the same face twice in a row
            if (count > 0 && move.charAt(0) === moves[count - 1].charAt(0)) { continue; }
            // Avoid move sequences like "R L R", which is the same as "R2 L"
            if (count > 1 && move.charAt(0) === moves[count - 2].charAt(0) &&
                    moves[count - 1].charAt(0) === cube.faces.charAt((cube.faces.indexOf(move.charAt(0)) + 3) % 6)) {
                continue;
            }
            state = cube.twist(prevState, move);
            if (cube.states.indexOf(state) === -1) {
                // If this state hasn't yet been encountered, save it and move on
                moves[count] = move;
                cube.states[count] = state;
                count++;
                prevState = state;
            }
        }
        return moves;
    }
};

N

NPT

Typically not.

To use code written in other languages you need to manually convert it from it's original language to GameMaker (GML). This means being familar with both.

chamaeleon

Presumably you would not want the gui aspect as I imagine you'd want to create that in GameMaker. Given that, I guess the question is how intricately the scrambling algorithm and data structures are tied to the gui part. If it's not too hairy and there is a clean separation, you could probably create an extension that contains the javascript code and maybe use a json string representing the cube state as input and output. From within the javascript extension you'd then translate the json data into the appropriate data structure used by the scrambler and back again when returing the result.