• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Android Is it possible to have an Android app on phone without Google Developer

H

Humphrey M

Hi,

At the moment I don't have a Google Play developer's lisense. I have been testing an android game but I was wondering if you could save the game to the device without google play. A gamemaker icon is still on my phone from it but when I press on it, it doesn't run the game and gets stuck on splash screen.

Thanks!

P

PlayLight

Hi,

At the moment I don't have a Google Play developer's lisense. I have been testing an android game but I was wondering if you could save the game to the device without google play. A gamemaker icon is still on my phone from it but when I press on it, it doesn't run the game and gets stuck on splash screen.

Thanks!
If you're refering to testing, simply compile an APK via GM:S. If the device is connected on build, then the compiler will use ADB commands to install the application onto the device if it can be detected. Or, alternatively, you can copy the compiled APK to your device and install directly from the device itself via a file-manager application (Android will request you to set permission for installation of unknown sources)
You can compile an APK by selecting the Android Target module and clicking the 'Create Executable for Target' icon (or File >> Create Application).

If you were referring to Publication, Google does allow for off market applications, and you may supply these to people/customers/clients on your own terms and conditions. However, if you plan on later using the Google Play Store for publishing your application, you must first remove all other personal and/or 3rd party app store publishing links to your application.

Google Play Terms of Service (if you meant the latter)

On Samsung Galaxy Note, there's a secret "code" you need to enter in order to unlock developer mode. Real dorky and all. I can't seem to recall if this allowed the user to install any compiled .apk or just let you hit the play-button in GM:S and then launch the app on the device.

Anyway, just an anecdote. Not sure it helps.

P

PlayLight

On Samsung Galaxy Note, there's a secret "code" you need to enter in order to unlock developer mode. Real dorky and all. I can't seem to recall if this allowed the user to install any compiled .apk or just let you hit the play-button in GM:S and then launch the app on the device.

Anyway, just an anecdote. Not sure it helps.
"Real dorky and all" hahaa love it. :)

Tapping 'Build Number' 7 times under Device Information in settings will reveal the Developer Option on any Android device which hides it.
You'll only need this to manually activate ADB debugging or to show your friends how dorky you are.

Just for reference:
Clicking the green or orange Play button will install the new yoyo 'Runner' (or whatever they're calling it these days) to the connected device and will not alow you to run the game on the device without being connected to GM:S by WiFi or USB.

Creating a standalone APK via 'Create Executable for Target' will compile a complete, signed and z-aligned APK file.

Last edited by a moderator:
PlayLight: Yes, tapping 7 times sounds vaguely familiar. Totally unnecessary in my opinion, the whole thing. Dorky method implemented by dorks to begin with =P

H

Humphrey M

"Real dorky and all" hahaa love it. :)

Tapping 'Build Number' 7 times under Device Information in settings will reveal the Developer Option on any Android device.
You'll only need this to manually activate ADB debugging or to show your friends how dorky you are.

Just for reference:
Clicking the green or orange Play button will install the new yoyo 'Runner' (or whatever they're calling it these days) to the connected device and will not alow you to run the game on the device without being connected to GM:S by WiFi or USB.

Creating a standalone APK via 'Create Executable for Target' will compile a complete, signed and z-aligned APK file.
Thanks!! Yeah I had to do that as I have a samsung I thought it was a bit weird but kind of cool haha. I was referring though to running the game without being connected and thanks again this seems to work now. Just wanted to show my mates the game but I didn't want to publish to google play yet.

P

PlayLight

PlayLight: Yes, tapping 7 times sounds vaguely familiar. Totally unnecessary in my opinion, the whole thing. Dorky method implemented by dorks to begin with =P
There are quite a few options in there that general users shouldn't be touching or could render their device quite the mess.
Also i beleive there's treasure maps with the location of the lost cities of gold as well as detailed scriptures on the meaning of life... Turns out Deep Thought's '42' was wrong! Damn glitchy super computer!

I

icuurd12b42

You can also get a local installer on the google store to allow installing apk from a your storage

J

jackhigh24

or you can pop it on doprbox and install from there, althugh some phones still need you to do into dev mode, and playlight LOL is that deep thought of youtube, iv seen the drama LOL, the crook live around the comer from me what a scammer he is loto is gambling no matter how you dress it up, i should know apple told me off for it LOL.

S

Shihaisha

Tapping 'Build Number' 7 times under Device Information in settings will reveal the Developer Option on any Android device.
Doesn't work on mine. Google says it will work only for newer versions of Android. :(

Without Google play developer account.
You can test your game on device.
Make an apk of your game.
(assuming you have pro and Android export)

What you can't do is IAP testing. Ads Testing or any other Google Services.

P

PlayLight

or you can pop it on doprbox and install from there, althugh some phones still need you to do into dev mode, and playlight LOL is that deep thought of youtube, iv seen the drama LOL, the crook live around the comer from me what a scammer he is loto is gambling no matter how you dress it up, i should know apple told me off for it LOL.
No that was a reference to - Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy. :)

Doesn't work on mine. Google says it will work only for newer versions of Android. :(
If you have an older version of Android on your device, you don't need to un-hide Developer Mode. Just check under Settings >> Applications >> Development. This mode was not hidden in older Android builds.

Without Google play developer account.
You can test your game on device.
Make an apk of your game.
(assuming you have pro and Android export)

What you can't do is IAP testing. Ads Testing or any other Google Services.
Correct, if your game uses Google Libraries and Services, you must join their cult and drink their blue kool-aid.

D

Drewster

Hi,

Thanks!
You can certainly start developing without joining Google Play Developer, but seriously why? If you want to do anything that integrates there, like In-App Purchases, achievements, etc you'll need it anyway, and you're going to want it anyway to distribute your game when you're done. Just jump in with both feet if you're going to do it.