Windows Is it possible to give my custom saved files an icon?

• Thread starter Deleted member 16767
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16767

What do you mean? Steam only uploads unzipped or zipped files.

Edit: Maybe I should add the installer.exe and upload it as game.exe?

chamaeleon

I assumed you meant the icon as displayed for a file in Windows Explorer (not going to speak for any other OS). Which icon is displayed is driven by the file extension, and what the Windows Registry has defined the icon to be for that extension (and running an installer would register the icon for the given extension as part of installing the application or game). As far as Steam is concerned I have no knowledge or insights.

D

Deleted member 16767

Well, there's no option for me to make an installer when I click on Create Executable.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Well, there's no option for me to make an installer when I click on Create Executable.
You will have disabled the option at some point by dismissing the message that asks you what you want to make. Go to the Windows Preferences page and change the "Default packaging type" to "Show Dialog".

chamaeleon

Check what you have selected in File -> Preferences -> Platform Settings -> Windows -> Default packaging type, my guess is that it is Create Zip Archive instead of Show Dialog.

D

Deleted member 16767

You will have disabled the option at some point by dismissing the message that asks you what you want to make. Go to the Windows Preferences page and change the "Default packaging type" to "Show Dialog".
It's Show Dialog but I can't create an installer. I followed your guide to make the YYC compiler work (I'm using Visual Studio 2019), maybe that has something to do with it?

chamaeleon

You don't *have* to use the built-in installer creator in GMS. You can also export the game in a zip file, extract all the files from it somewhere, and use any installer creation software you wish, free or paid, to make an installer out of those files.