• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Is it possible for players to create their own music playlist in a game using their own music?

otterZ

I have a game (Windows / Steam game) where I have a music playlist in game, which shuffles and plays about 154 songs in random sequence. Players are happy with this but some players have requested a way to make their own playlist and play their own music that they have on their own computer.

My question is . . . is it possible to enable players to create their own playlists with their own music? I admit, I haven't a clue how this may be done? Perhaps using ds lists and some way to create extra included files which the player can add music tracks to . . . maybe?

As an elementary to intermediate level GML programmer this is outside of my scope of experience. I would be grateful if more experienced GML programmers could point me in the right direction or at least confirm whether this would be possible using GM2.

otterZ

Thank you Yal.

That's great, I will look into this and play around with it in a test project. Now I feel like I'm headed in the right direction and just have to put the work in to learn about this and test it out.

I really like early access on Steam, as when there is a player request it is almost like being handed a puzzle to solve. Pushing me out of my comfort zone in GM2 to try more challenging things.

You have pointed me in the right direction a number of times Yal, very much appreciated. I kind of feel as if I'm in a game of pin the tail on the donkey lol Spinning around blindfolded with you often kindly pushing me in the right direction.