• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Legacy GM Is it just me: I cannot Use Google to Search GMS1.4 Documentation

Nifty

I used to be able to google something like "gamemaker ds_grid" and the top result would go straight to the GM1.4 page for DS_Grid:

https://docs.yoyogames.com/source/dadiospice/002_reference/data structures/ds grids/index.html

But now that exact search only results in forum posts.

This applies to other searches such as "gamemaker array" and "gamemaker datatypes".

These searches work in DuckDuckGo, I've tried incognito and using a proxy to the USA and it is no different. Has Google stopped indexing the GMS1.4 documentation for some reason?

This is annoying because I either have to go through a different search engine or use the documentation toolbar to search which is usually not helpful.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
Google has stopped indexing both docs.yoyogames.com and docs2.yoyogames.com. My guess would be that YoYo asked for them to be delisted so that they do not appear over material from the current GMS 2.3+ Manual at manual.yoyogames.com.

Nifty

You have to use "site:manual.yoyogames.com" to get 2.3+ results; the top result for "gamemaker ds_grid" is a reddit post from 2019. This feels like a mistake.

Nifty

I have it confirmed that they have deliberately stopped google from indexing the old sites. The new site only returns results if you use "site:manual.yoyogames.com"

Obviously this decision makes all versions harder to use, especially for new users, because your results will come from reddit posts, forum posts and youtube videos. Instead of the documentation which I have found to be incredibly useful.

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
Obviously this decision makes all versions harder to use, especially for new users,
Why would it make the newest version harder to use? It really only makes the older version harder to use. If they leave it alone, it is harder for people using the new version since the search will mix in results from the old(and often wrong) versions. And they want people on the new versions, so why would they cater to old instead of new?

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
I always look for results in the Manual using the site:manual.yoyogames.com search modifier, NEVER just gamemaker. The latter just seems like inexperienced searching in my opinion. Just because something is popular, it doesn't mean it's right.

Nifty

I always look for results in the Manual using the site:manual.yoyogames.com search modifier, NEVER just gamemaker. The latter just seems like inexperienced searching in my opinion. Just because something is popular, it doesn't mean it's right.
Unfortunately I take that to be a little condescending but also not to mention that there's no other way to get a google result from the GM2 manual ;) Perhaps a more experienced user can find a way.

The situation was that legacy users could google using "site:docs.yoyogames.com" or "gamemaker" or "gms1.4" and GM2 users had to use "site:manual.yoyogames.com"
The situation now is that legacy users cannot google search at all and GM2 have to use "site:manual.yoyogames.com"