iOS Is it impossible to compile for iOS 7.1 now?

bsabiston

Hello,
I wanted to release an update for my game and still support ios 7.1 so my iPhone 4 can run it. Is this not possible anymore? I can get the game to compile by using Xcode 7, and it installs and launches on the iPhone4, but it crashes with this error:
dyld: Symbol not found: _OBJC_CLASS_$_UIUserNotificationSettings

I looked it up and this call is only on iOS 8. Does that mean GameMaker will only make games for iOS8 and above now? Is there any way to dowlnoad an older version and use that?

Thanks

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
1.4.1757 and 1.99.505 are the last versions of GMS that supports iOS 7.x and below, download them at the Release Notes. In addition, XCode 8.x and above support iOS 8.x and above only, so you cannot upgrade that neither without dropping compatibility.

Expect more and more of the ecosystem to come apart as time progresses, so if you intend to continue targeting iOS, you have to go with the flow.

bsabiston

OK thanks! Yeah, things move fast -- a little too fast if you ask me. I still have people write me upset that my game won't run on their iOS 6 iPod.

Mainly I just figured out a way to get a huge speed increase in my game where it used to lag, and I'd like to get an update one last time for people on iOS7, since they are the ones who would most benefit from it.

bsabiston

By the way, is it possible to install and be running two versions of GameMaker on the same machine? I have the EA version and stable, but those are kind of separate apps. I've never tried two different versions of the stable app. Is there any trick to installing a second, older copy?

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
By the way, is it possible to install and be running two versions of GameMaker on the same machine? I have the EA version and stable, but those are kind of separate apps. I've never tried two different versions of the stable app. Is there any trick to installing a second, older copy?
Open another user account on your system and install GMS on that.

H

hamid1855

When you are installing a program on windows, it usually gives you the option of installing for one person or everyone. So if you select to install for only 1 user (current user), then it will only be installed for that user. If there is no option, it is usually installed for all users.

rIKmAN

Open another user account on your system and install GMS on that.
I recently found out you can use your Steam keys to have another version of GM installed using the same Windows user account.

I have 1757 installed standalone, and my Steam version is 1763 - meaning I don't have to keep switching accounts to be able to use both versions.

As @FrostyCat said though, you will have to use xCode 7 with 1757 to target iOS 7 and below, and xCode 8 with 1763 to target iOS8+.

Last edited: