• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Is it bad I find Networking so Confusing?

Gamerev147

I don't know what it is, I just find networking so confusing.

I have about 2.5 years of experience in Game Maker. I've attempted multiplayer dozens of times, but I always get errors or I don't understand what is going on.

Is this bad? :confused:

GMWolf

aka fel666
I don't know what it is, I just find networking so confusing.

I have about 2.5 years of experience in Game Maker. I've attempted multiplayer dozens of times, but I always get errors or I don't understand what is going on.

Is this bad? :confused:
Nah.
2 years in and my networking code was always terrible.

7 years now and my networking code is still terrible. (But apparently up to standard...).

Networking is very tricky. And I rarely find code that seems like elegant networking to me.

Gamerev147

Nah.
2 years in and my networking code was always terrible.

7 years now and my networking code is still terrible. (But apparently up to standard...).

Networking is very tricky. And I rarely find code that seems like elegant networking to me.
Well that makes me feel a bit better...
Is it necessary for an indie game developer to learn networking?

I don't know much about networking as much as I only know mplay (outdated function used in game maker 8) and a little bit of 39dll for coding a multiplayer game. So it can be confusing for people who are new to game maker.

Gamerev147

I don't know much about networking as much as I only know mplay (outdated function used in game maker 8) and a little bit of 39dll for coding a multiplayer game. So it can be confusing for people who are new to game maker.
But I've been coding in GML for about 3 years now. I still find networking confusing.
That's what I'm worried about...