Discussion Is Google Stadia the future of gaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sofaspartan

(Sorry! I just found out that Misu created a very similar thread that covers this. Feel free to close this thread if you want, admin.)

I have been following Google Stadia quite closely for the past few months and wanted to see what you all thought of this new video game streaming platform. I think that game streaming is an interesting concept, and if done correctly, could potentially change the way consumers play videogames. I also believe, however, that game streaming has its pros and cons.

Do you think this type of platform is the future of gaming? Will we see a shift from physical release games to all cloud-based ones? Will this enrage game collectors who love tangible media?

Let me know your thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

sofaspartan

Oops! Sorry for a duplicate thread. Feel free to close it if you think it's necessary.

Last edited by a moderator:
L

Lonewolff

Probably be the future one day. But the internet isn't there yet.

Look at VR. Everyone thinks it is a new thing. There were plenty of attempts in the early 90's, but the tech wasn't there yet.

S

sofaspartan

I agree. I can't imagine that our current internet technology could handle something like this. However, with most things being streamable these days, I guess it's inevitable that video games will be as well.

L

Lonewolff

Yeah, but the big problem is latency. You see something on the screen, it gets transmitted back to the server, server processes and validates the input, then the frame gets rendered, compressed and transmitted back.

That's quite a bit of time between all of that happening. I know they are getting clever though and have ways of handling things that we couldn't even dream up.

Even if there was a quarter second delay. That's a killer in some games.

Some games will obviously get away with it much easier than others though.

S

sofaspartan

Professional gamers would never be able to use this unless they could work out latency issues.

Professional gamers would never be able to use this unless they could work out latency issues.
Forget professional gamers, there are some games that would be straight up unplayable with this. I tried doing some of the boss rush content in Hollow Knight streamed from my PC once. Bosses in that game are extremely fast and reaction-based, and the latency made it unbearable.

Mind you, this is with a Steam Link, streamed from my PC at home, through my router, with no Wi-Fi involved -- both ends were hooked up through an ethernet cable.

And Hollow Knight isn't even that twitchy. I can only imagine how unplayable something like Celeste or Super Meat Boy would be even before you introduce wireless latency.

Status
Not open for further replies.